Rough Cut TV show Name Change
(03-31-2019, 08:27 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Exactly...he produces some nice works and why getting associated with being a rough woodworker. Most of us want to be a fine woodworker...it is super easy to be a rough one. The name of a show or a venture is important, otherwise Fine Woodworking magazine could just call it Lousy Woodworking for branding purposes.

Simon

Lol, this is why I chose “Woodcademy”. Made up word with no previous entanglements, but very clearly expresses the focus of my business model.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-31-2019, 08:04 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It didn't surprise me that better known woodworkers took part in forums. Rob Cosman, Chris Schwarz etc. used to do that too.

What surprised me was Rough Cut had been suggested and worse, Tommy took it. Who fine woodworkers would be happy with rough cuts? Many of us spend time or money trying to achieve precision...

I have not come any woodworkers who said the show name sounded right to them.

Simon

Pretty sure the Rough Cuts came out about how wood was rough cut and then take it to usable wood.  Hence Rough Cut.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-30-2019, 12:05 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but when Tommy Mac was here he asked the question what he should name his show and got the idea from everyone here??

Tommy Mac had a blog and videos he called Rough Cut long before he became a WoodNet member.  The folks here just suggested he keep the name he'd already been using prior to the show.  That was part of his claim in the suit - that he'd been using the name for a long time and even though it wasn't a registered trademark, it was sort of common law (forget the legal term) that he had rights to the name.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You sure about this common law usage thing? I thought if you don't register something you don't own it even though you may be using it for years. Otherwise what is the point of registering something? I know nothing about the law on trademarks, patents etc.

Simon
(03-31-2019, 07:59 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: You sure about this common law usage thing? I thought if you don't register something you don't own it even though you may be using it for years. Otherwise what is the point of registering something? I know nothing about the law on trademarks, patents etc.

Simon
First usage certainly counts. Legally, you should not be able to register something already in common usage. There have been exceptions made, but there should not be.

Also, not actively defending your registered trademarks or names can void your registration. This is why Disney and other large corporations file claims against a daycare that uses their character images. Disney certainly is unharmed by the actual use, but if they knowingly DO NOT defend their trademark, it can become public.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-31-2019, 08:50 AM)handi Wrote: Lol, this is why I chose “Woodcademy”. Made up word with no previous entanglements, but very clearly expresses the focus of my business model.

Ralph, I hope you still come around when you make it to the big time!
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(03-31-2019, 07:59 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: You sure about this common law usage thing? I thought if you don't register something you don't own it even though you may be using it for years. Otherwise what is the point of registering something? I know nothing about the law on trademarks, patents etc.

Simon

You'll have to read his lawsuit, which is available online.  There's a legal term for it, which basically says if someone uses a certain name and there's widespread association of that name with a particular individual or business, then that entity can claim exclusive rights to use that name.  I'm no lawyer.  You can search for the original thread here on the lawsuit where it's discussed.  We have a couple of attorneys on the forum who can explain it way better than me.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill