Track saw dilemma: Festool vs Makita
I am looking to rip plywood, 96 inches long as you know, and also cross cut when needed. I am in the market for a track saw and specifically a one piece track for cutting plywood in this manner.

The Festool product comes to about $1000 versus the Makita which is about $750. I would get the Festool that is capable of cutting 2 1/4 inches depth.

I know this subject has been beaten to death. But how do all of you out there feel about which product to choose?
Go to your local tool store and examine both. One may have features, design, etc.,  that you like better than the other.
I like mine well enough, but it was bought before some of the others were on the US market. I think If I was doing it over I'd look closely at the Dewalt and the Makita. Also, it seems like I read Bosch is introducing their version in the US this summer...I'd love to see it. The long track is certainly the cat's meow for sheet goods, but mine sees more work straight edging rough sawn lumber.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I got the Festool TS55 years ago:
  • I've been delighted with the cut quality--compared to my early struggles with veneer chipping with circular saw or table saw.  I'm not sure how much of this is coming from the blade and how much is the splinter guard on the track.
  • I value having the dust collection
  • I like the plunge and splitter
  • I like that the tracks sit pretty steady and you can see exactly where the cut will be.

The tool felt very expensive, especially since I don't use it nearly as much as my table saw.  However, it is one of those tools that makes me smile, as it does this one job so well (excellent cut quality on sheet good).

I'd be open to looking at other track saws, but the evaluation would heavily weight the cut quality over other factors.

Some additional comments:
  • The long track is great when you need to rip lengthwise, but you really want your track(s) to be pretty closely matched to the workpieces.  I did end up getting a shorter length piece for use when squaring smaller panels
  • The TSO Parallel Edge Guide Rail Square is a nice addition for squaring up panels.  (alternatives could be a large sled on tablesaw or working with the MFT tables with the track saw cross-cut fixtures)
  • The splinter guard strips can get chewed up over time, and they tend to come unglued if left lying around in the shop...
Do you know anyone local who has a track saw?  Trying one out might be very helpful.

Matt
I have the DeWalt which has served me just fine for the past 6 years so I really can't comment on the other two other than everything I read about them is positive.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(03-29-2019, 12:10 AM)Steve Soldo Wrote: I am looking to rip plywood, 96 inches long as you know, and also cross cut when needed. I am in the market for a track saw and specifically a one piece track for cutting plywood in this manner.  

The Festool product comes to about $1000 versus the Makita which is about $750.    I would get the Festool that is capable of cutting 2 1/4 inches depth.

I know this subject has been beaten to death. But how do all of you out there feel about which product to choose?

Take a look at the new Kreg system.. Played around with one at woodcraft the other day, it seems like a great competitor to the Festool but much less expensive.
Check out eurekazone.com. They offer the Makita 8-1/2 saw already setup for their system and includes dust collection and dust shield ports for less than 300. Their longest single track is 72 inches, but isince you want to cross cut also, remember you end up with an 8 foot track to make a 4 foot cut. Using the single long track would for cross cuts would be darned inconvenient to use and store. Their 8 foot track with clamps is a couple hundred. So you get everything you are looking for for lapprox 200 less than the makita system you are looking at. The advantage of the 8-1/2 saw is you reclaim 1/2 depth of cut that would otherwise be lost from their base.

I have no affiliation with eurekazone, except that I own some of their stuff and and very happy with it.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
I have the Festool.  It enables me to make accurate and clean cuts in plywood prior to briging it down the steps to my basement.  I think of it as a safetly measure.  

Very happy with the Festool equipment.

All my cabinets are of the Shaker variety.  With the Festool track saw and a router I could get rid of my table saw and radial arm saw and still make quality cabinets.

I understand that in Europe a Festool setup substitutes for a full workshop.  With the addition of a good pocket hole jig, most cabinets could be built. 

In the USA we have more room in our houses for workshops.  So we see table saws, permanent assembly tables, etc.  In Europe the homes are smaller so MFT tables, Festool saws and routers. 

With electric power I could build cabinets on a driveway.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-29-2019, 12:10 AM)Steve Soldo Wrote: I am looking to rip plywood, 96 inches long as you know, and also cross cut when needed. I am in the market for a track saw and specifically a one piece track for cutting plywood in this manner.  

The Festool product comes to about $1000 versus the Makita which is about $750.    I would get the Festool that is capable of cutting 2 1/4 inches depth.

TOOL NUT has a deal on Makita track system saw+track for $ 420  and free shipping
Bosch saw info (Toolguyd)

I've read where the Bosh saw is made by Mafell, should be top quality.

Ed