Track saw dilemma: Festool vs Makita
I can't say one way or the other about the festool, but I have the makita tracksaw and love it. The cost of these always kept me from getting one, but I found a screaming deal on one at a flea market. If anything ever happens to this one I would pay retail to replace. I'd get the makita again. I can't imagine the festool is that much better to justify the higher price. Mine came with the long track to rip plywood and I bought the shorter shop fox rail to do crosscuts. The shop fox rail gets used 99% of the time for me. Also bought the dewalt clamps, they work with the shop fox and makita rail.
(03-29-2019, 09:02 AM)Jack01 Wrote: TOOL NUT has a deal on Makita track system saw+track for $ 420  and free shipping
And the Kreg track system (also from TOOL NUT) IS $400.00.

I do wonder how they compare quality-wise with Festool and Mafal.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a Festool T55 because when I bought it, they were more or less the only game in town. I think the biggest difference is between having any track saw and not having any one at all. The differences between one of them and another being a lot smaller. If you don't feel the need or desire to buy into Festool's integrated dust extraction platform or universal storage system, then the advantages are fewer over Dewalt or Makita.

If I had to buy one tomorrow, I would probably go with a Mafell, because I like their roll-able rail. If I had to buy one 25 years ago, I wouldn't have one because it was pretty much just Festool and they were too expensive for me at the time. However, 25 years ago me would have jumped on that $425 Makita, and may have been satisfied enough never to have gotten into Festool at all.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
A perspective for someone who bought one of Festo's first saws in the U.S. and has owned just about every variant they've made since - and - used most of the competition too :

If you have other Festool gear (or are planning on buying) , get the Festool TS55.  That's correct the 55, not the 75.  Unless this is going to be your primary saw in a small shop then it's not likely you need the capability of the larger saw.  It has very few advantages ( and some drawbacks) for a sheet goods setup.    The correct, sharp blade in the 55 will produce great results in all kinds of sheet goods.  The only reason to get the 75 is if you want to cut 8/4 or 10/4 solid lumber on a regular basis.  And then, only with the proper blade.

If you go Festool - get the LR/32 guide rail in 55".  For $50 it gives you the option to later use the 32mm hole drilling system and is more valuable for re-sale. 

If you're not into the Festool ecosystem, or just want to save some dosh without giving up performance- then Makita's saw is VERY hard to beat for sheetgood processing.  I don't think there's a better value going now than the $400 package of a saw + 55" rail that Jack mentions from toolnut.   You can order it from HomeDepot for roughly the same price too.

Whether you go festool or makita - the 118" rail from Makita is the clear winner from price at $165 less than Festool's offering.  Both saws work on both rails. 

To get the most out of these saws,  a tool actuated vacuum should be used with them.  Both festool and makita make really good units that will do a fine job.  Makita's is $300+ less for comparable performance; though it's ergonomics aren't as good.  There are of course others, but their value proposition isn't nearly as compelling as these two.

Kreg looks good on paper.  For the hobbyist.  No track record though. You wanna be the guinea pig ?
If you go with Festool, don't make the mistake I made and get the circ saw (rear plunge) version.

You'll save a few bucks, but the forward plunge saw is the only way to go.
For ripping (96") sheet goods I haven't found anything as accurate and fast as the Eurekazone Universal Edge Guide (UEG). I use to have all Eurekazone but recently replaced it with a cordless Makita and corded TS 75. I have 55" and 118" Makita rails and 75" Festool. I like milling my own hardwood so I like the single long rail to straight line rip a starter edge. I have many other Makita battery powered tools so that's why I chose the Makita cordless.

Be careful with depth of cut - some numbers listed are w/o rail.

(think some suppliers have the Makita cordless with dual-charger, four 5Ah batteries, and 32" rail for under $500)
Get the Festool because you will want a MFT/3.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Get the makita saw.. I was in the same dilemma you were, bought the makita and am very happy about it.

It's not just the initial cost of the festool that gets you.
Their plywood blade (if you want to cut cabinet grade plywood ) is almost $100.
I guess there might be clones now, but that is absurd for a circular saw blade.

You don't need a riving knife on a circular saw, esp for plywood. That is an unneeded gimmick, in my opinion.,

Festool costs have just spiraled out of control. It can be justified for the domino (since there is only one place to get it), but not for sanders, saws, etc.

There is no need to have some kind of MFT for a track saw.. Maybe it's nice to have, but IMO, that should not be a decision making point.
Shocked 
(04-02-2019, 09:07 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: Get the Festool because you will want a MFT/3.

Really ?  

Why ?

It's pretty much useless for ripping 8-9ft. sheets of plywood.   Unless you get two of them , which will set you back $1300 ! ! !   Even then, they could still be problematic for ripping full sheets. And then there's the built in design flaw that needs to be compensated for when crosscutting.   They have their niche, but if one has a decent amount of space to work in , there are much better options.

I've used tracks saws since their beginning on site, in mega shops, and in a tiny studio setting.  Not once have I wished for an MFT.

p.s.    the makita saw will work with the MFT too, so even that in and of itself isn't reason enough to choose the festool saw over the makita.
There is nothing I could say to change one’s mind if they are already against it. I find great value in it for cross cutting, sanding, routing, assembly, holdings, finishing and job site custom installation with better precision and ease of use and safety than a portable table saw. So many uses. Ripping 8 foot sheets of material is not one of them. I make much more shorter length cuts as to where the usage of tablesaw sleds, sliding miter saws, radial arm saws have been replaced by my Festool MFT/3 w/ fence and rail. One of my most used pieces of equipment and my recommendation if you have a Festool track saw.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.