Water Softener &Skin Problem?
My wife has been having a problem with some type of contact Dermititis. She will be going to an allergist next week for testing.
In the meantime we have been looking at EVERYTHING in our home. Today I was reading about water softener salt. We have been using Diamond Crystal Iron Out salt. A number of people have written to say that this has been an irritant.
Anyone here have any experience in this matter?
BTW, I just bypassed the softner this AM to see if we can isolate this problem.
Thanks!
Check the label on the salt bags. Does it list anything besides salt as an ingredient?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Unfortunately we are finding that manufacturers often do not list all the ingredients. We are in a process of elimination.
If the system is working correctly, all the salt should be rinsed off the resin media (inside the media tank) before the bypass valve allows water to flow through it and into the pipes. If the valve is leaking, you may possibly be getting salt into the drinking water. I'm not at all saying this is the issue but it's a thought. If you have ever tasted salt in the water, either the valve is bad or the resin media needs to be replaced or both. The float valve in the salt tank may also not be closing but I kind of doubt it. Not sure how long the resin media lasts but I do know valves should be replaced periodically. I've used Fleck water treatment valve heads for (just about) ever and they valve needs to be replaced. The last house, I got about 5 years out of them and the one I installed here lasted 3 years. The longevity of the valve all depends on the quality of water and minerals or contaminants in the water passing through it.

Consider having the water tested on the output side of the softener... at a sink. Do a full test, not just the cheap kit. I'm sure a plumber or someone here will give you an idea who to contact for a thorough water test. That will tell you if the system is working. Water tests are relatively cheap.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Fabric softeners, clothes washing soaps, bathing soaps, body lotions and arm deodorants (Especially antiperspirant types) and dryer sheets are another concern. Never heard of soft water causing it.

The wife had this. Turns out she was too heavy on the clothes washing detergent when doing cold water washes- sweating set it off.
What dado said, don't forget to look elsewhere. Some of the detergent/softener manufacturers market "free" products...free of additives that can cause allergic reactions. Might be worth trying some of them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Most softeners that use salt can also use potassium chloride salt--more expensive, but might negate any problems with sodium chloride salt.
Is the water softener working correctly? If it is not working right and letting hard water through that may be your problem. Very hard water can cause skin issues, I know as I have scalp issues from it that clear up when I'm out of town for a while. I can't wait till I replumb the house and can put a water softener in the garage. (no basements here and no mechanical rooms so it's a pain)