Show me your sharpening stations!
(03-31-2019, 10:45 AM)stillgotten Wrote: I couldn't be happier with them. Mind you I've only had them a couple months but in that time The 'stones' have broken in and they really do make quick work of a task I never really enjoyed doing. Now with this station all set up to sharpen all my edged implements of destruction, it's quick and easy with no bother at all, I might even say I KIND of like honing now...not really, it's just no bother.

Bruce,
I am glad to hear it is still working for you.  I already have an EZE lap 600 grit diamond plate, and I like it.  I did not realize until recently that DMT made plates finer than 1200 grit.

I know I can get an EZE lap 1200 grit locally for under $60.  I wonder if EZE lap compare favorably to DMT.  Any comments?
Steve
No pic but mine consists of a granite surface plate, an assortment of wet/dry paper from 320 to 2000 grit kept in an inexpensive expanding file folder from the office supply store, a Trend 300/1000 diamond surface plate with lapping fluid, Spyderco ceramic stones in medium, fine and ultra-fine, a Lie-Nielsen honing guide plus a 6” steel rule.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(03-31-2019, 12:34 PM)arnman Wrote: Bruce,
I am glad to hear it is still working for you.  I already have an EZE lap 600 grit diamond plate, and I like it.  I did not realize until recently that DMT made plates finer than 1200 grit.

I know I can get an EZE lap 1200 grit locally for under $60.  I wonder if EZE lap compare favorably to DMT.  Any comments?

This being my first diamond plates I can not attest to other manufacturers quality. The DMT plates come in a 4000 grit and an 8000 grit as well but they are on the pricey side for sure, ~$90.
I think the 1200 is around the same as your ez lap stones, ~$60
Bruce.
(03-31-2019, 12:34 PM)arnman Wrote: Bruce,

I cant compare to EZE lap, but I do have the "8000 grit, extra extra fine, 3 micron" from DMT and its a really nice stone, don't find it is quite fine enough to stop at, so I use diamond for in the coarse, fine, extra extra fine, and a shapton 12000 to finish it of.  Of course if I have been honing regularly like I should I mostly use the fine- shapton.... but hey I started this thread because I wasn't.  You can only switch to another sharp chisel so many times till they all are dull
Laugh

As a side note I feel the diamonds work much better on A2 than my norton water stones did. Not only in speed but final sharpness.  Nothing scientific.
Sorry for no pics.  I ran the gamut with sharpening edge tools...started off with scary sharp....had a piece of glass mounted and 4 strips of graduated grit sandpaper. (too much trouble changing paper & storing the glass sharpening station). Then went to Arkansas Stones...very slow but low maintenance. Got a Tormek and sharpened everything in the shop (took about a week)...then the stone sloped and, whether operator error or Tormek failure, it got to be too much trouble.  Had to get the machine out, fill with water, sharpen then hone then put all away....sold it for a song.  FINALLY I found Shapton stones and now have a system that works fantastically well.  BTW...took almost a year to get all the belly out of my chisel & plane edges from the Tormek grinder.....so happy to have everything flat again!  Once everything has been through the 1000, 4,000, 8,000 Shaptons the edges stay sharp...I hone with a leather strop using powder honing compound after every use....takes 10 seconds to get the strop from the bench drawer and the tool is ready for next use. I have DMT course medium & fine for quickly establishing the edge.  Been using the Shaptons for 10 years now.  I never let my tools get dull.....keeping them honed & sharp is easy and quick. Have habituated making sure tools are sharp when put away. I have a drawer in my bench that has Veritas MKII system (which I rarely have to use once edges are established), Shapton stones set up on holders. Jigs for curved (carving) blades.  and a couple leather (horse butt) honing boards, couple MDF boards and several types of honing compounds. The main thing I KNOW is that if I am diligent in getting all the blades in my shop sharp....it is easy to nurture the habit of KEEPING each one sharp after every use....and my woodworking is a joy without intermittant misery! Also, nothing gets put away without a wipe of the oil rag. 
Good luck
(04-01-2019, 01:19 AM)DonSlaughter Wrote: Sorry for no pics.  I ran the gamut with sharpening edge tools...started off with scary sharp....had a piece of glass mounted and 4 strips of graduated grit sandpaper. (too much trouble changing paper & storing the glass sharpening station). Then went to Arkansas Stones...very slow but low maintenance. Got a Tormek and sharpened everything in the shop (took about a week)...then the stone sloped and, whether operator error or Tormek failure, it got to be too much trouble.  Had to get the machine out, fill with water, sharpen then hone then put all away....sold it for a song.  FINALLY I found Shapton stones and now have a system that works fantastically well.  BTW...took almost a year to get all the belly out of my chisel & plane edges from the Tormek grinder.....so happy to have everything flat again!  Once everything has been through the 1000, 4,000, 8,000 Shaptons the edges stay sharp...I hone with a leather strop using powder honing compound after every use....takes 10 seconds to get the strop from the bench drawer and the tool is ready for next use. I have DMT course medium & fine for quickly establishing the edge.  Been using the Shaptons for 10 years now.  I never let my tools get dull.....keeping them honed & sharp is easy and quick. Have habituated making sure tools are sharp when put away. I have a drawer in my bench that has Veritas MKII system (which I rarely have to use once edges are established), Shapton stones set up on holders. Jigs for curved (carving) blades.  and a couple leather (horse butt) honing boards, couple MDF boards and several types of honing compounds. The main thing I KNOW is that if I am diligent in getting all the blades in my shop sharp....it is easy to nurture the habit of KEEPING each one sharp after every use....and my woodworking is a joy without intermittant misery! Also, nothing gets put away without a wipe of the oil rag. 
Good luck

+1 - wow don - you described my history of sharpening xactly. and i also now just use shapton stones. thanks for saving me all the typing.
jerry
Probably not what you’re looking for, but a good excuse to show off the Worksharp station I just finished. Used the $5 Stumpy Nubbs plan but modified the top deck to sit on threaded rods so it can be leveled with the abrasive disk. Works great, super fast. Hopefully the pic shows up:

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-03-2019, 07:12 PM)Dave in Denver Wrote: Probably not what you’re looking for, but a good excuse to show off the Worksharp station I just finished. Used the $5 Stumpy Nubbs plan but modified the top deck to sit on threaded rods so it can be leveled with the abrasive disk. Works great, super fast. Hopefully the pic shows up:

That's nice.
(03-30-2019, 09:05 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: This is when it was new, it looks well seasoned now
Smile

This has worked very well for me, it is fast and very convenient having this so readily available.  I have also added a tomek to the bench next to it.  

[Image: IMG-1961.jpg]

No pics, but I have some thing similar to the above.

The key difference is that my hand tool bench is two steps away from my laundry sink, so I built my sharpening station out of some high density plastic shelving I found, routed drainage grooves in it and put a rear riser under the end closest to me.

It sits across my laundry sink and pitches forward just a few degrees.  I can get pretty messy while sharpening and it all goes down the drain.
Yes
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(04-03-2019, 07:12 PM)Dave in Denver Wrote: Probably not what you’re looking for, but a good excuse to show off the Worksharp station I just finished. Used the $5 Stumpy Nubbs plan but modified the top deck to sit on threaded rods so it can be leveled with the abrasive disk. Works great, super fast. Hopefully the pic shows up:

Nice
Great Job