Whiteside Ultimate Spiral Pattern Bit: Any Good?
Whiteside #UDP9112 "Ultimate" Spiral Pattern Bit - 1/2" SH X 7/8" CD X 1-1/8"

Looking at this for rabbetting. It is a compression bit, so should provide clean cut.
Anyone have any experience with this bit?

[Image: 5849_6713_popup.jpg]
Should do a good job but why a compression bit for a rabbet ? Typically, a compression bit is used for through cutting. Just curious.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I hope to use this bit beyond the current project: seemed like a very handy bit to have around.

(03-30-2019, 05:50 PM)museumguy Wrote: Should do a good job but why a compression bit for a rabbet ? Typically, a compression bit is used for through cutting. Just curious.
Sorry, never had nor used one. Looks expensive....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Not something I would use for a rabbet. A compression pattern bit is pretty much a one trick pony.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I've used one extensively (my second one) for pattern routing, and it's very good at that. Expensive, but worth every penny. No experience at rabbeting, though. I had a kickback issue with my first one, but that was totally resolved by Whiteside. See this old thread for details: https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7346243
I did a review of this bit a while back. It does cut exceedingly well, especially when the grain is running contrary and on end grain. 

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-30-2019, 06:03 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I hope to use this bit beyond the current project: seemed like a very handy bit to have around.

Ok, that makes sense. As others have said, a little more than needed for rabbeting but it may work out price wise instead of a couple of bits.

Let us know how it works if you get one.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-30-2019, 07:50 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: I've used one extensively (my second one) for pattern routing, and it's very good at that. Expensive, but worth every penny. No experience at rabbeting, though. I had a kickback issue with my first one, but that was totally resolved by Whiteside. See this old thread for details: https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7346243

What was your issue? I bought one of these specifically to clean up cuts for my cutting boards with added curves (I call them inlays, but they aren't). Mine kicked back all the time and I haven't tried it again since then, having gone back to the standard two-flute. I saw stories similar to yours with Whiteside fixing the issue, so I decided to keep it for now instead of return it.

I would love to know why it does this, especially since Handi posted a video with a similar bit hogging through massive amounts of maple like it was styrofoam. That is if you found out.
As stated in my earlier post, neither I nor Whiteside was able to determine a cause. The original bit was within .001" of spec and was being run at appropriate speed, etc. In the end I think they were just happy that the replacement solved the problem. I know I certainly was..... and still am. I continue to use it, and it performs flawlessly. 

I think the major takeaway from my experience with Whiteside is that their customer service is exemplary - easily the best I've ever encountered in any field. It started with the receptionist. When's the last time any of you talked to the phone receptionist at a major manufacturer and got immediately transferred to someone who asked all the right questions, understood all the issues and fixed your problem on the spot? No warranty runaround, no, "I'll have someone call you back next Thursday", just straight up dealt with the problem and fixed it the first time. If you're having issues with anything that Whiteside makes, I encourage you to call them.

I have no affiliation with Whiteside aside from being a happy customer. They're not the cheapest but they're worth every penny in my experience. As I said in my earlier post, I'll probably never buy another router bit from anyone else.