Another butcher block countertop question
One last, hopefully last anyway question concerning the countertop I'm about ready to install. Does it sound reasonable to finish it first, putting coats on both sides, and then cut the hole for the sink? Or, should I cut the hole and then finish? The first two seems to make more sense to me. Any thoughts?
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I glued my own up. Finished it after install, top only, never finished the bottom.

Mineral oil finish only. Applied oil once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year. Absorbed a lot of oil, even for maple.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-30-2019, 08:10 PM)Scott W Wrote: One last, hopefully last anyway question concerning the countertop I'm about ready to install. Does it sound reasonable to finish it first, putting coats on both sides, and then cut the hole for the sink? Or, should I cut the hole and then finish? The first two seems to make more sense to me. Any thoughts?

I have made two butcher block counter tops. I finished  both sides after cutting out for the sink. I don't think it matters which way you do it. If you cut out afterwards you still should finish the holes edges before installing the sink.
mike
(03-31-2019, 01:34 AM)mike4244 Wrote: ..............................…  I finished  both sides after cutting out for the sink. I don't think it matters which way you do it. If you cut out afterwards you still should finish the holes edges before installing the sink.
mike

^^^^^^

John
My butcherblock was not at the sink.  I put one coat of sealcoat and one coat of poly on the bottom before finishing the top.  I finished in "in situ" (after installation).  I would definintely do the same at the sink, or at least apply the finish to the opening.

If it is a drop in sink, I would coat the cut opening when coating the bottom and again when coating the top.  Water might get under the lip of the sink and do damage to the raw edges.  And since it will not show, extra coats will not show either.

The (for me) was giving the finish enough time to fully cure.  The 48 hour cure listed on most finishes is nonsense.  The 200 hour that many knowlegable finishers use as a "full" cure is much better.  I waited 10 days before I used the top.  And for a few months after, I made religious use of cork coasters to protect it further.  

I seriously doubt that the finish is fully cured after 200 hours.  I suspect (and my experience bears it out) that it continues to harden as it ages.

I will be making new kitchen cabinets (as soon as I finish the full-gut bathroom I am working on).  I will add cutting boards on full extension drawer tracks for cutting and spare the counter top from use as a cutting board (and not to have to go looking for a cutting board each time I need one).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-30-2019, 08:10 PM)Scott W Wrote: One last, hopefully last anyway question concerning the countertop I'm about ready to install. Does it sound reasonable to finish it first, putting coats on both sides, and then cut the hole for the sink? Or, should I cut the hole and then finish? The first two seems to make more sense to me. Any thoughts?

Whatever you do, put finish on the sink cutout opening.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020