Math genius needed, geometry
Is there any way to calculate the angles for this star?  I'd like to make a large one for indoor use out of 3/4" MDF using just glue to assemble it.  I was good at geometry in high school but it was nearly 60 years ago and this is pretty complex.  I can figure out the angles for the points and interior corners of the star (as if it were a flat piece).

But how to figure the angles for the 3D depth?

It seems like a pretty easy project once the angles are finalized.  Just cut, glue and tape (for clamping), and then paint.

[Image: generous.jpg]

I can easily make one of these, but it is not what I want.  And I want the star to cover a large area of the wall about 36" across.

[Image: il_340x270.1442743226_m8rm.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-03-2019, 08:01 AM)Cooler Wrote: Is there any way to calculate the angles for this star?  I'd like to make a large one for indoor use out of 3/4" MDF using just glue to assemble it.  I was good at geometry in high school but it was nearly 60 years ago and this is pretty complex.  I can figure out the angles for the points and interior corners of the star (as if it were a flat piece).

But how to figure the angles for the 3D depth?

It seems like a pretty easy project once the angles are finalized.  Just cut, glue and tape (for clamping), and then paint.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=calculate+angles+for+3d+star

this site has a xls file to calculate them:
https://www.lumberjocks.com/Aggie69/blog/33374
Draw it in SketchUp and measure the angles.
Will also need what is the depth to figure the compound miters . Roly
There should not be any compound miters. You might be overthinking it.

I am pretty sure since I do wood turning it goes all by 360 degrees.

You have 5 points with 2 sides which = ten sides

So 360/10=36 degrees each side
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Like Phil, I'd model it in SketchUp to get the angles. Precise without calculations.
Thanks for the video links.  I think I have enough to start figuring out the angles.  I will make a small one to test my math, then the large one.  Should be fun.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
News to me that these days, every woodworker uses Sketchup, or knows how to use it!
Uhoh

Simon
(04-03-2019, 11:42 AM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks for the video links.  I think I have enough to start figuring out the angles.  I will make a small one to test my math, then the large one.  Should be fun.

That looks like a great project.  I'm math challenged, so please post the result, and the measurements, when you are done.  I'd love to make one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis