Math genius needed, geometry
(04-04-2019, 04:16 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: News to me that these days, every woodworker uses Sketchup, or knows how to use it!
Uhoh

Simon

Well you better get er going.

I'm a SketchUp hack, but you can get to hack level with an evening or two of attempting to draw a simple project.

It is actually a sort of fun thing to work on while watching TV with the wife.
Too bad you missed my point.

Simon
No I didn’t but you, clearly missed mine.
Luckily the OP doesn't have to learn sketchup to proceed with his project! Perhaps, next time, I should learn how to do CNC woodworking before doing a compound angle cut.

Simon
It is a tool like any other tool. Maybe a little more learning curve but there is quite a bit of return on the investment.

I didn’t start using it until I had a similar question and someone suggested CAD as the solution. A couple of hours later I had a nifty tool in my arsenal.
Not sure how the OP feels about the learning curve of any new tool, if a project can be done with existing tools, more power to him. Some people like to buy a new tool to solve a new problem, others learn to be more resourceful with they already have.

Simon
(04-05-2019, 09:01 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Not sure how the OP feels about the learning curve of any new tool, if a project can be done with existing tools, more power to him. Some people like to buy a new tool to solve a new problem, others learn to be more resourceful with they already have.

Simon

One I have the basic shape, I think I can make a few test cuts to get the right angles.  

Thanks everyone for your responses.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-05-2019, 09:01 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Not sure how the OP feels about the learning curve of any new tool, if a project can be done with existing tools, more power to him. Some people like to buy a new tool to solve a new problem, others learn to be more resourceful with they already have.

Simon

And still others can be the most resourceful with what they have by learning to use a free tool like SketchUp.

I can play this game with you all day long.
(04-05-2019, 10:44 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: I can play this game with you all day long.

That says it all.
Rolleyes

Start a new thread and play it (with yourself for as long as you like). The OP got what he came up here for.

Edit - Your sketchup obsession is nobody's business. Keep it but move on.

Simon
I made a jig for the TS and MS for such stars I made a few years ago. Turn it and flip it- something like that. It looks complicated but it isn't.

That jig? Like many of my jigs, it's somewhere..............................