Paul Sellers did it...again!
(04-09-2019, 07:13 PM)David Katz Wrote: Even so, he is extremely sensitive to criticism. He hates it.

He is not the only guy who is sensitive to criticism; many, many blog owners (whether amateurs or company owners) are very defensive. They can't accept even mild dissent. You can tell from the responses (of course you can't see those which have been removed soon after they get a chance to do so). To be fair, we don't know whether Paul's team is also over protective and removes "unwelcome" comments on its own.

Since it is their platforms, it is fair game that they can do whatever they like, and participants are at their mercy (that's why I only read). What I find unbelievable is the kind of group think you see in all those media (Instagram is just as bad) where devoted followers are blindly following everybody else, or the media owners. Sometimes, I wonder if some of them are school kids yet to develop their independent thinking ability.

Not an exaggeration, I truly believe that if one of these celebrities releases a video telling the audience that for a regular screw, you turn clockwise to lock it in, and counterclockwise to unlock it, you will find "Likes" and comments like "You rock, man!" following. Unbelievable. And that is an observation many woodworkers I spoke to shared

"Even so, if you decide to criticize Paul, be prepared for some pretty vicious Internet blowback. "

That is the last thing I would worry about. I speak my mind, encourage others to do the same, and without which, it is just group think. Just write an email (or a memo in the old days), no need to discuss or debate. Yes, that was how I encouraged my subordinates, teams or members in a meeting to behave. Many meetings are a waste of time because they are really not meetings of the minds.

Simon
I would point out that P.S. has a international audience (large clusters in USA, EU, UK, but if you prowl around in the forums associated with his class web site, lots of countries are listed as "home" for members). In some places, especially highly urbanized areas, it is more difficult to obtain quality hardwoods than here in the USA. Man-made materials and softwoods (pines and spruces mostly) are more prevalent. It isn't difficult for me to source cherry and haul many board feet home to work. Somebody in downtown Paris without a vehicle, maybe not so much.

So he does tend to bring up the point of material availability frequently and sometimes goes a bit far afield to show that you can use just about any wood or wood-like-object to make your projects. What I don't often hear is that there are compromises made and perhaps one should spend a little time and effort locating more appropriate materials for some projects.

An early focus of the channel seems to have been much more about a minimalist tool kit and little to no power tools. This is not to say he wasn't using them off-camera, he made references as such. Also suggested that people without access could try asking their timber supplier for a bit of assistance in the donkey work. Over the years, it may be that he has gotten enough feedback through his forums (bit of an echo chamber though) that at least things like bandsaws are more prevalent than he assumed. All conjecture on my part. But again, from what little correspondence I've had with hobbiest and semi-pro woodworkers in other countries, the volume of machinery in most USA hobby shops blows away what is available elsewhere.

He does and says a lot of things I don't agree with. Some I do. Some of his designs I like, others I don't and a few I just can't understand why he would have made them so clunky. I'm sure the same could be said of me if I was to expose my work at the same degree as he does his. Scratch that, probably 99 to 1 for the "what the hell are you thinking" critiques.

But I don't feel anybody can fault him for his enthusiasm.  Please apply this last line to any other "internet famous" woodworker, altering gender pronouns as necessary.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
One of the biggest challenges is the sellers workbench are chopping the mortises.. especially without proper bench to do it on...

How do I know, because I did it many years ago as a beginner...

Using plywood glue ups allows you "fake" the mortises and make them perfectly without chopping them out.

Great idea to help a lot of people.

Like Rob said, when you put stuff online, you have an unbelievabley large audience that you try to cater to.
(04-10-2019, 10:14 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: One of the biggest challenges is the sellers workbench are chopping the mortises..  especially without proper bench to do it on...

How do I know, because I did it many years ago as a beginner...

Using plywood glue ups allows you "fake" the mortises and make them perfectly without chopping them out.

Great idea to help a lot of people.

Like Rob said, when you put stuff online, you have an unbelievabley large audience that you try to cater to.

Sellers' raison d'etre is to teach hand-tool woodworking to machine-centric woodworkers. I've been watching his videos for years. This sudden turn toward plywood cut on the bandsaw and put together with screws is bizarre to say the least. It is as if some longtime vegan YouTuber were to suddenly begin a video eating a 16 ounce ribeye steak. 

As I said above, there are dozens of YouTube woodworkers using plywood cut with machines and fastened with screws. Some of them are quite fetching females. Why bother watching Sellers do it when I could watch some alluring female move around the shop in tight clothes while she cuts plywood on the bandsaw?
(04-10-2019, 11:14 AM)David Katz Wrote: Sellers' raison d'etre is to teach hand-tool woodworking to machine-centric woodworkers.  Why bother watching Sellers do it when I could watch some alluring female move around the shop in tight clothes while she cuts plywood on the bandsaw?

Good point.

There was one comment that has since been removed on that mortise jig blog post, suggesting that Paul does not need to revert to novelty to "excite his base" (or something like that). I don't know if Paul's sudden interest in plywood is a new approach, a distraction, or indeed a tool to excite, but I think it is a good thing that people like you and a couple of other guys there to tell him what you feel. He may not care, but as his customers, you guys have the right to let him know.

There is only so much a teacher can cover with regard to traditional techniques, and sooner or later, Paul's challenge is to keep the interest up there for his existing paid subscribers, a challenge similarly faced by other online teachers, and woodworking magazines.

Simon
(04-10-2019, 11:14 AM)David Katz Wrote:  Why bother watching Sellers do it when I could watch some alluring female move around the shop in tight clothes while she cuts plywood on the bandsaw?

I know a lady that may or may not have been an exotic dancer that is now a FB / youtube woodworker.

Her woodworking skills consist of using a Kreg jig to screw together 2x4's and plywood. Recently she made a "butcher block" top for a table that was long grain 2x4's.
Crazy

However, she does work in yoga pants and a tight top.

She has a ton of followers.... some of you are awfully desperate.
Laugh
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(04-10-2019, 12:18 PM)CLETUS Wrote: She has a ton of followers.... some of you are awfully desperate.
Laugh

I hear you.

I came across an Instagram account which attracts normal to abnormally spiking number of views. That's when the woodworker posts herself in a beach bikini! Someone said she is a model, too....

Simon
(04-10-2019, 12:18 PM)CLETUS Wrote: She has a ton of followers.... some of you are awfully desperate.
Laugh

I see you are not sharing.  
Laugh
Laugh

You, of course, have no way of knowing if any of the readers of this forum are followers of the person you mention. (I personally don't use Instagram, or facebook, or twitter)

In fact, the only person we know of, who would qualify for your description ... is you!
(04-10-2019, 02:53 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: In fact, the only person we know of, who would qualify for your description ... is you!

BUSTED!
Laugh
Winkgrin

Simon