Building a cabin in the wilderness
I was thinking the same thing as Derek. Wilderness? So, where does the electricity come from to charge the batteries for the cameras? Even if it's a generator, that means he's going somewhere to get the fuel and haul it back to the site. Even Alaskan homesteaders get periodic resupply deliveries from bush pilots or they have boats that can navigate up or down the river or bay to civilization for supplies. The accommodations might be austere, but there are a lot more conveniences than existed 150 - 200 years ago where things really did have to all be done by hand.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There are many clues to imported materials, even to the peeler poles used to build the structures. Whether flown in and dropped, or dragged into his site, the only conclusion is fairly close proximity to civilization. And, he wasn't alone. Two dogs and canoes show up. The aerial views are dramatic. Maybe, he needed a storehouse for extra toys. 

Dick Proenneke's visual record is one of many, usually written, of people moving out to live with Nature on Her terms. His cabin site has volunteers maintaining it currently. I think one volunteer is a member of Woodnet Forums. Proenneke was remote enough to prove individual construction.

I am not sure US homesteading is possible anymore, but Canadian homesteading must be, since the OP's post has reference to it. The "dream" of frontier and adventure on one's own terms is about as rare as the nearest SUV commercial. Chevy and Ford trucks were the precursors and competitors to Jeep Wagons for the same glory.

It's still a fun Bambi-type watch.
If you look a bit deeper into his social media presence, it's clear that Shawn James isn't pretending to be some kind of modern Dick Proenneke. He's complete up-front about what he's doing, what his goals are, and what motivates him. His main goal isn't to isolate himself from mankind generally, but instead he's interested in living with minimal government interference, yet still close enough to civilization to take advantage of its amenities.

Before you condemn this man, who has taken control of his life in (my view) an admirable way, I think it would be prudent to get some facts.
David, can you point us in the direction of this in-depth information?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(04-11-2019, 11:15 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: David, can you point us in the direction of this in-depth information?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Shawn James My Self Reliance
(04-11-2019, 11:15 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: David, can you point us in the direction of this in-depth information?

Regards from Perth

Derek

He has two.  This is the link to Shawn James youtube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L_M7B...4FzEbwKCAg

This is the My Self Reliance channel:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKin...g/featured

I agree with David, he would not pretend to be, nor suggest he is, a Dick P.  He freely admits he visits lumber yards, shops in town for food, buys commercial products to incorporate into his homestead.  He makes reference to an Alaskan chainsaw mill for milling boards; there is evidence of his chainsaw use, as well as solar panels, etc., etc.  I would suggest that if Dick P had had access to the chainsaws of today, he'd use one and have his bush pilot fly in fuel.

Shawn is promoting more of a lifestyle, than pure "live and build off the land" philosophy.  After watching from both sites, I find him genuine, not afraid to use more modern/commercially available resources, and certainly not a fanatic.  He has skills, and while I may cringe at his sawing technique he gets it done with a minimal kit.  So I cut him some slack; he obviously makes money from his feeds, sells T-shirts etc., but is promoting a "wilderness" lifestyle.  He is off the grid, but admits to shopping in town (2 hour drive), having a municipal road for access, etc.  So this is not a Dick P type of situation.  

It's worth the time to view some of his offerings, where his philosophy is more exposed.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-11-2019, 11:02 AM)David Katz Wrote: If you look a bit deeper into his social media presence, it's clear that Shawn James isn't pretending to be some kind of modern Dick Proenneke. He's complete up-front about what he's doing, what his goals are, and what motivates him. His main goal isn't to isolate himself from mankind generally, but instead he's interested in living with minimal government interference, yet still close enough to civilization to take advantage of its amenities.

Before you condemn this man, who has taken control of his life in (my view) an admirable way, I think it would be prudent to get some facts.

That is exactly what I took from it...He didn't start out like they do on "Naked and Afraid" and neither did Dick Proenneke...it should be clear to any woodworker that he did use some modern tools and equipment..It was also pretty clear to me early on that he was not that far from a road or at least a source of supply..Much of what we saw him do was challenging, especially if he did it without help. And as I said early on, that if nothing else, it took stamina and determination to see it through. His work may not have been "perfection" but it was far and away better than many, if not most all but the very experienced amongst us could do, IMO. I intend to keep following him. I found it very interesting..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-11-2019, 11:02 AM)David Katz Wrote: Before you condemn this man, who has taken control of his life in (my view) an admirable way, I think it would be prudent to get some facts.

What he's done is admirable, but the title of his video is a bit misleading "Two Years Alone in the Wilderness".  It implies he went out there and was all by himself for 2 years building his cabin.  Barely 3 minutes into the video appears a U-Haul trailer.  Battery-powered headlamps.  Kerosene lanterns.  Extendable ladders.  Roofing paper.  Nails.  Among other things.  Those just don't show up.  You have to go get them.  And spend money to get them.  So he's got an income from doing something other than building his cabin.  Or he saved a lot of money prior to his adventure.  Where did he sleep before he had four walls and a roof over his head?  You never see a tent to tarp or anything like that.

Now maybe he built the thing all by himself, and maybe it's somewhat isolated from civilization, but he made way more than one trip away from his self-claimed isolation to accomplish his task.  I'm not diminishing his hard work.  It's just that he's billing himself in this particular video as a hermit who has separated himself from society and has the skills to do it all himself.  Had all this context been provided up front, maybe we wouldn't be so skeptical.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It's hard to find country without power poles. That is my definition of civilization. My take was, boy, he needs a horse. Since I consider horses as mobile dogfood, that's quite a statement.

He's building a cabin in the bush at minimal expense. That was my take, but then again I've spent time in the bush.
A man of foolish pursuits
I think that the title is very misleading, and he has not corrected any responses from viewers who clearly believe that he made everything with his hands, in isolation from the rest of the world. Dick Proenneke can claim to have survived "alone". How long do you believe the hero of this video went before he needed supplies and drove off to the local supermarket? He certainly did not begin his stint with in the wilderness with the items he ended with. Proenneke did. And the "off grid" title? To me that means one plans to live without electricity. He either hooked up a generator or charged up batteries. His bedroom looks like a disco.

Weekly video updates, and inviting viewers to tune in sounds like a business plan to me. Let's get the perspective right here. This is not about surviving. This is about camping.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com