Thoughts on band saw maintenance.
Do you de-tension your blades everyday?
How often do  you replace the rubber bands on the wheels?
On new blades, do you bevel the back edges w/a stone?
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
(04-10-2019, 08:14 AM)justdraftn Wrote: Do you de-tension your blades everyday?

I do not release the tension every day.  Only if I know I'll be out of the shop for a while (weeks or months).

I only replace tires when the old ones crack, tear or get loose.

I always bevel the back edges of a new blade with an old carborundum stone that I keep around for just that purpose.

Mike
Do you de-tension your blades everyday?
No

Only when they are too deteriorated to run smoothly.  I think my 1952 Delta bandsaw may be on its first set of tires.

Only if they are sharp do I round off the back edges.  I don't think it makes much difference, but it decreases the cut radius a tiny bit, and may decrease wear on the thrust bearing.  But it's fast and easy to do.  Some blades come already smoothed on the back edges.
In the order of your questions:

- Yes, unless I forget
- Only once (to an urethane belt); machine 20 yrs old
- Never, would like to try if I have a small stone.

Simon
1) Yes.

2) With my Delta 14" I put on urethane tires after it was about 6 years old. My current saw (MM16) doesn't allow you to do that easily, so I guess I'm in it for the long haul.

3) Haven't done that yet, though I suspect it's a good thing to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-10-2019, 08:14 AM)justdraftn Wrote: Do you de-tension your blades everyday?

1. Yes, I never used to, but my lower wheel bearings failed after about 3 years service (Laguna 14SUV) so I decided to relieve blade tension. It is a habit now.
2. Never.
3. Yes.
I have an old Delta 14” that I bought used 10 years ago.

No, I do not release the tension. Never had an issue.

I just replaced the rubber tires with brand new urethane ones. The lower tire finally deteriorated and came loose. The tires were original to the Saw, so they had at least 15 years on them. And this machine was bought from a pro shop, so it has seen lots of use.

I only bother stoning the back corners on narrow blades that I will be cutting curves with. My resaw Blades, there is no real point to it.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Yes.

When they fall off.

Yes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-10-2019, 08:14 AM)justdraftn Wrote: Do you de-tension your blades everyday? Yes
How often do  you replace the rubber bands on the wheels? Twice, so apparently once ever ten years
On new blades, do you bevel the back edges w/a stone? On the narrow blade.  I don't bother with a resaw blade.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
My 14" Delta Bandsaw was purchased about 1983, yes in the previous century.  

I leave the tension on the blade, no problems.

Original rubber tires are still like new. 

Thanks for reminding me to try stoning the rear edges of my blades, never done this yet. 

My bandsaw is the MOST used power tool in my workshop. Used every day, now for 36 years.