Chechen toxicity
Question 
Anyone here know if Chechen is food safe, once sealed?  I do know it's a skin and lung irritant when milling.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

What everyone used to tell me was Google is your friend.

https://www.wood-database.com/chechen/
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Why tempt fate? Or, just go ahead and take a chance. After all, Romans poisoned themselves using lead for plumbing; and we still use it to 'glue' copper plumbing pipes. "Remember Flint, Michigan!"

That's my rant. I want some rhubarb. Hold the leaves.
I thought lead was banned for use in solder
VH07V  
(04-11-2019, 12:36 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I thought lead was banned for use in solder

Nope, it's just discouraged, at least for electronics, thanks to the EU and their very unscientific/knee jerk rule. We require all circuit cards to use Sn/Pb solder and if the parts are lead free, they must be re-plated (dipped) in Sn/Pb solder. Pure tin generates what's called Tin Whiskers that can short out electronics, causing failures and sometimes deaths (ask Toyota about that).
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(04-11-2019, 12:36 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I thought lead was banned for use in solder

I still have a couple partial rolls of 50/50 lead/tin solder.

Ssssshhhhh, don't tell anyone. 
Uhoh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-10-2019, 04:12 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What everyone used to tell me was Google is your friend.

https://www.wood-database.com/chechen/
Arlin,

I went to that site before posting here.  No where does it say anything about food safety in the article or the allergy section.
Gary

(04-10-2019, 09:57 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Why tempt fate? Or, just go ahead and take a chance. After all, Romans poisoned themselves using lead for plumbing; and we still use it to 'glue' copper plumbing pipes. "Remember Flint, Michigan!"

That's my rant. I want some rhubarb. Hold the leaves.

We all gotta die someday.  You can die today due to dehydration from not drinking water or die later from lead poisoning your choice.....or..... we can demand all buildings go to Pex tubing, costing billions or trillions to upgrade the water system.  Then, in 100 yrs someone will discover that the chemicals found in manufacturing Pex causes sterility or some other ailment.  

I'm sure there was a cover-up by the Roman plumbers union regarding scientific findings of the hazards of lead.  Gee, I sure wish I lived in Utopia, where everything was perfect and nothing could harm me.
Gary

https://www.eatingtools.com/material-care-and-cleaning

Scroll down to "wood"

Bing "can chechen wood be used for eating utensil"
Sorry I thought the "Comments area" would help you think about it.

To me I would not use it for daily use nor weekly use.  There are a lot of other woods more suited for use in food use.  Also being a turner maybe if it was sealed into the pores like putting it in a vacuum chamber and force poly or shellac to seal the pores instead of mineral spirits or something else which can be easily washed out.

If you ask this question in Turning they could help better since that is what they done.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.