If the perfect chisel or plane iron was made
Quote:I bought them traditional modern carpenters chisels that no one likes; the plastic handled Stanley #60 (short, translucent yellow handle). So far so good

Adam, I have 3 or 4 of these, and they have seen me through a couple of renovations. They are my go-to chisels for carpentry. The steel is decent enough to hold an edge and soft enough not to chip.
Regards from Perth
Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Simon, with regards to a fretsaw for dovetailing (or are you specifically referring to a coping saw?), a decent Knew Concepts 3” model with all the fruit is $99. That is the one I usually recommend. Is a KC necessary to be able to cut fine dovetails? Of course not, but it is a darn fine fretsaw, and better than any other I had used when I started down the path, about a decade ago, leading to the production of KC fretsaws for woodworkers. What I have learned in the years since is that technique is more important than the tool - how you hold the fretsaw (very light grip) makes such a difference (ultomate high tension is not critical for control). Still, this fretsaw does lend itself to better work than my old jeweller’s saw. The blade turns 45 degrees for longer cuts, and the blade holding mechanism does make it easier to change and hold blades. The extra tautness is still preferred.

The point is the same with chisel choices. I have learned enough that my skills are sufficient to use a wet noodle when chiseling, whether it is joinery or dovetails. I can, and do, grab the first sharp chisel and make do if necessary. Still, I prefer to use certain chisels ... because they feel good in the hand, and because they cut well. I would rather be using a Veritas than a Stanley #60 for building furniture. But if I did not have them, it would not matter. 

One can do good work with mediocre tools. One can also do mediocre work with mediocre tools. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(04-18-2019, 08:40 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Simon, with regards to a fretsaw for dovetailing (or are you specifically referring to a coping saw?),

Derek

I have the bad habit of using fret saw and coping saw interchangeably. Indeed, a fret saw offers better control and tighter turns, which I use for most dovetail work. One exception: when I remove waste on thick stick or ganged pieces, I use the coping saw for the blade strength and speed. The blade can get really hot when gang cutting, and fret blade can break more easily.

Gang cutting is another hot button for Sellers. Again, his followers blindly side with him even though they have never gang cut anything, with some insisting their goal is to enjoy the moment, and not caring about how fast they get the job done. Fair point on that but their own preference does not mean gang cutting is a bad thing. It is just another way of doing a task. Sellers as well as his fans seems to be less open to other techniques unless those are what Sellers uses. My preference is to try as many as other methods and learn from them, and make up my own mind.

Simon
Ah yes...never miss a chance to do a good Paul Sellers Bash, no matter what the thread's content is about, eh.

Sometimes, things actually line up enough one COULD gang cut....the way my luck goes..not..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-19-2019, 09:51 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Ah yes...never miss a chance to do a good Paul Sellers Bash, no matter what the thread's content is about, eh.

Sometimes, things actually line up enough one COULD gang cut....the way my luck goes..not..

Sellers is a social media influencer (a term I recently learned from reading the college admission scam story (used to described one of the USC students who bragged about partying and not studying in her youtube video)!). If and when his "influence" is less than desirable, anyone is free to point it out. Nothing to do with bashing. Don't be oversensitive or over reading, Bandit.

I gang cut a lot and luck seems to have nothing to do with it. Be warned: don't gang cut unless one has developed good basic sawing skill because every mistake is doubled in gang cutting. The reward of gang cutting is, apart from speed, identical tail pattern. But I also cut dovetails one by one now and then, enjoying the moment.

Simon
I wonder if I could make the perfect chisel for me? 

I think I need to clarify its use, and subsequently proper design. Derek's comment reminded me of my own long-time carpentry chisels, the ones with clear yellow plastic handles. Much like the cold chisel, the use it will be put to determines the design. I see three distinct classes to build, mortise, bench, and carpentry. For wood.

So, what features need to be considered for a good bench chisel design?

Steel-

Balance-

Size-

...... ?