Rebuilding Notre Dame Cathedral
A couple points, as time progresses and people are able to interject views:

Like they did for the "Old Ironsides" rebuild done a few years ago, trump up a unique concept floating around the engineers' drafting boards to assure the convenience of the rebuild is also a few years ahead of actual history.

Or as I read in my today's Google News, divert the 1 billion in donations toward the poor of France. I am definitely not a curmudgeon but there is too much horse s**t going on with diverting targeted funds to unrelated personal aspirations in the world. 

In most instances, history should progress along with physical deterioration. Notre Dame is not one. People gave their lives in wars to protect heritage sites, including this gem.
I would suspect that Kreg is sending over 500 K5 Jigs to aid the rebuild.
Hundreds of European cathedrals and old structures were reconstructed after WWII. So many were destroyed by bombing, fires, mortars, etc. There is a very established body of knowledge on how to do it, meet building codes, and still retain the integrity of the architectural features of the original structures. Since they were already in the process of refurbishing Notre Dame, I suspect there is already some engineering that won't have to be revised for the rebuild. Were it me, I'd want to retain the architectural integrity, but I'd also want it to meet modern building codes and be much safer than the original structure. This will be an interesting process.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-17-2019, 02:10 PM)Cooler Wrote: If you have a kitchen fire in wood studded home and the fire department douses the flames fairly quickly, rehab consists of ripping off the old drywall panels and putting up fresh ones.  Replacing a few badly burned studs, but ones that are lightly charred still retain their structure.  New paint, appliances and flooring and you are back in business.

If you have a kitchen fire in steel studded home and the fire department douses the flames fairly quickly, rehab consists of tearing down the entire kitchen structure as the heat will have compromised the structure of even pristine looking studs.  

heat(and rapid cooling as with lots of water dumped on it) also has an effect on stone and concrete.
One construction method that I doubt they will use would be their “hamster wheel”. It is difficult to see but that wheel on the right is powered by a slave,(who else) that ran, (literally) inside the wheel that moved ropes that sent all that stone up the tower.  I have pics of it but this is better. Those of us who spent our careers in the corporate world can easily identify with the guy/slave inside the wheel.  
All this and more from "What you never knew..." that has some interesting facts on the Cathedral. 

Bill
(04-21-2019, 01:33 AM)GEB Wrote: All this and more from "What you never knew..." that has some interesting facts on the Cathedral. 

Bill
I hope the model survived! Was it Lon Chaney who swung about on the gargoyles in 1920's. Yes. My memory has sound, dubbed in?
I am tossing this out there with little to no idea of what I am talking about.  Acacia grows fast and quite large the one I took out of my yard was considerably larger than 24" at 30' up.  It was incredibly strong just based on what it weighed standing there.  I dropped about a 12' length only to have the neighbors run out of their house thinking it was an earthquake.  The log dropped over 30' from their house
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.