I built my first back saw.
Great job!

Tell us more about the plate and the handle. Did you buy a plate with the teeth already punched or did you file the teeth yourself? Did you use a template? Where did you get the template for the handle? What would you do differently the next time? What was your most challenging part? Inquiring minds want to know!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I really wanted the bad axe bayonet but I couldn't afford it so I sort of modeled it after that. I wanted a precision carcass saw 14" long. I wanted a little more taper than the bad axe had so i went 2" at the toe and 2 1/4" at the heel. I cut the teeth, first time I've done that. I filed it for rip 14 ppi but I would like to alter the geometry to more of a hybrid all around user. I'm definitely not great at sharpening but the saw does seem to cut rip cuts very well right now. I used 0.018 shim stock. I really like the feel of it so far! I used a template from Blackburn Tool Works for the handle and the teeth. I'm excited to learn more about sharpening! I have a good feeling this will be my main user, at least until the next one I build
Smile
(04-18-2019, 08:59 AM)Elijah A. Wrote: Hey y'all,
So I bought some raw materials and I had a scrap piece of maple and built a back saw. I've never done anything like this before and I am relatively new to hand tools. This was a fun project! It's not a bad axe or a Lie Nielsen, it has blemishes, makers marks (mistakes
Smile ) but it's mine and I'm proud of it! I have left over brass and steel, I may try another one!

Eli

That looks great! Impressive, especially for a first try.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Looks great!! I've got materials here from ??? punched saw plates, and bent brass backs from Dom.
All I lack is saw nuts, and the time and inkling to make some saws.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great looking saw.
Bruce.
Thanks for the kind words!
(04-18-2019, 04:57 PM)Elijah A. Wrote: I really wanted the bad axe bayonet but I couldn't afford it so I sort of modeled it after that.

This is pretty much where I started. In my case it was an Adria I couldn't afford.

Your saw is a very nice first attempt. The only nicer first attemp as Isaac's saw he showed her a few years ago.

You should revisit your upper horn. Looks like it comes back to much.

Be carfull saw making is highly addictive. It distracted me from real woodworking.

Cheers
Pedder
Very cool. I’ve made a couple myself, and yeah, lots of challenges but lots of fun, too.

So the big questions: how does it feel in your hand? And how does it cut?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Feels fantastic in my hand! I'm still working on the sharpening. It cuts pretty well overall. I need to put some set on the teeth but I don't have a saw set. I'm checking into Paul Sellers method with a hammer and punch. Again, thank you all for the kind words. Inspires me to do it again!
Sweet!

If it works, it’s beauty.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp