I built my first back saw.
Hey y'all,
So I bought some raw materials and I had a scrap piece of maple and built a back saw. I've never done anything like this before and I am relatively new to hand tools. This was a fun project! It's not a bad axe or a Lie Nielsen, it has blemishes, makers marks (mistakes
Smile ) but it's mine and I'm proud of it! I have left over brass and steel, I may try another one!

Eli

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great.
Always inspiring to others when someone moves out of their comfort zone and posts about it.
Job well done!
Ag
Thank you so much!
Well done!

There's something special about your own work.  My homemade "Wonder Boy" gent's saw is still my favorite, despite the ugly parts
Smile

Chris
Chris
It looks good to me!  Better than my first attempt...  
Yes
Big Grin
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
Sweet! You need a makers stamp.

I did a Gramercy kit saw that lacked only the handle. You've motivated me to advance.
Awesome man! If it cuts well and is comfortable to you its a win!

If it doesnt you learned something. Impressive
Thank y'all! I'm going to see if I can get my initials engraved into the medallion. I looked at the kits as well. I ordered my materials from Mcmaster-Carr and I was able to get enough spring steel and brass to build 3-4 back saws for around $65-75. Does not include medallion and split nuts which I purchased from Blackburn Tool Works. Isaac is awesome over there!
Very nice.  Watch out, this gets addicting....

Also, TGIAG.com sells saw plates with punched teeth, saves a lot of time if you build a full size handsaw.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank you, sounds good! I've been using the chisels that I bought from you and they are fantastic!