"Bolt" and wingnut from Stanley 150 frozen
#14
  Re: "Bolt" and wingnut from Stanley 150 frozen by Tony (Charleston WV) (The piece on the 150...)
Got it!  I took bits of some of the suggestions:  Using a forstner bit, I drilled out a cavity in a small block of white oak sized to fit over the pad on the screw part of an "F" clamp and epoxied a short piece of 3/16 brass rod in a hole through the block.  The brass projected about ¼”.  I epoxied the block to the pad.  I          didn’t make the rod any longer to reduce the possibility that the clamp pressure would push the rod over or come loose entirely.  I wanted to move the wing nut enough to get some purchase on the bolt head.
 
I was able to move the nut about 1/16” and thought that I would able able to grab the bolt well enough to get a vice-clamp on it. I tried to get it to move a bit further, but when I put more pressure on the nut, the rod separated from the block.
 
It turned out that the bolt was a carriage-type and I was able to get a purchase on the square neck just behind the head using the “Jam-Bar”.  I have no idea where that came from or any memory of having used it before.  While picking the v-g off the tool board, I noticed it only because I had removed a couple of tools from the peg in front of it for a different job.

A little heat and the block came off quite easily.
 
My apology for not replying to the reply posts more quickly, but I had to deal with a little plumbing emergency first. 
 
Thanks for your help.  Now to find a length gauge.
 

   
   
Tony
Reply
#15
  Re: "Bolt" and wingnut from Stanley 150 frozen by Tony (Charleston WV) (The piece on the 150...)
Glad everything worked out.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Reply
#16
  Re: "Bolt" and wingnut from Stanley 150 frozen by Tony (Charleston WV) (The piece on the 150...)
Cool  ...................
Steve





Working on 20,000 Winkgrin





Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)