Lee Valley
I never had a problem before, but I want a 2 3/8" blade for a Stanley and they always seem to be out.  I wanted to try one of theirs, but I might get a Hock
(04-22-2019, 09:47 PM)EricU Wrote: I never had a problem before, but I want a 2 3/8" blade for a Stanley and they always seem to be out.  I wanted to try one of theirs, but I might get a Hock
Which one are you looking for, as the PM-V11 and O1 are in stock, looks like A2 is expected to be in stock on Thursday. My experience with Lee Valley on out of stock items is that they are very conservative on the projected in-stock date as I have received items much faster than what was projected when I placed the order. Also, they never charge the customer until the items ship, so there is no reason to wait for something to be in stock to place an order. Additionally, they always honor the free shipping periods, so if someone places an order during free shipping and it is back ordered, it will still ship free when it is back in stock.
I think the OP's post is the first negative comment I've ever heard about Lee Valley in all the 20 or so years I've been a Lee Valley customer.
I have a problem with Lee Valley.  I bought a boat load of their stuff over the years.  I go on the site now... to browse.
Got it, got it, got it... Wow, would love it, but too steep for old Marines. 
Big Grin
Got it, got it, got it.

I love those guys.

Laugh
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Cannot remember which item, but 1 was not expected to be in stock untill May 24 with others being sooner. Have never had this problem before and was disapointed that all 3 were out of stock. If it had been 1item, I would have placed the order. All 3 was a deal breaker. Maybe just not my day. I will definitly give them another chance in the future.Past experiences were always good.
The problem with Lee Valley stuff ,it's quality and quality costs. Purchases of new tools for me have always been carefully thought out. On my rust hunts I've been finding axes and rehabbing them. After a run on bandaids, all axes get their own sheaths. The commercial Kuny ones only come in two sizes, hatchet and 3 1/2# and nothing for double bits, adze or broad axe. So rather than buying a kit off Amazon and struggling with it. Then having to replace it, I bought the good stuff. That where Lee Valley comes in. I swear they don't let you leave the store with out spending $100. chuckle.
A man of foolish pursuits
I think Rob Lee mentioned that their own production follows a schedule which can lead to delays in availability. Having been dependant upon steady, profitable production in my own life, pleading for extra hours from me is a big satisfaction and sense of safety, so adding labor to dismiss it later would not be part of Lee Valley business ethic. 

Also, they tend to market quality third party tools and hardware from smaller shops. With all of the tariff shenanigans going on we are bound to see delays and cost spikes in less valuable products which only makes better quality a better value. 

Third, a hidden cost we don't consider, or find difficult to account, is shipping cost. "Free" shipping is not free. That cost is added to the price tag. And, marginal volume shipping cost is sent to small business and individuals. My own Christmas shipping cost more then the goods shipped. LV could reduce the price tag to a better value, but buyer pays going down the road. This inflated cost also has an impact on second hand sales. 

Jeeze, I only intended a sentence comment, then started thinking.
(04-23-2019, 06:48 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I think the OP's post is the first negative comment I've ever heard about Lee Valley in all the 20 or so years I've been a Lee Valley customer.

^^^^^^^^^ In my experience, Lee Valley delivers excellent products and service consistently. My guess is that there is a very valid reason(s) they happened to be out of the items you selected, since customer service has always been a focal point for them, again in my experience.

"People buy from people they like" is an old sales school primer - it never changes! They are always first on my list if they carry what I'm looking for.

Doug
(04-23-2019, 06:48 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I think the OP's post is the first negative comment I've ever heard about Lee Valley in all the 20 or so years I've been a Lee Valley customer.

What he said.  I almost laughed at the OP's post.

Rob is a pillar in the woodworking community, and he is consistently courteous and generous with this forum in particular (see the Annual Christmas Auctions). Lee Valley is solid in my book.
Never meant to slam them. I have always had good service and quality from them. Will go back again. Just found it very strange that all 3 of the items I wanted were not in stock.