getting back to playing with lathe -- material questions
OK, so about a year ago I picked up a Griz G5979 for CHEAP. That's the one that is sold under several different names including through Harbor Freight. Gets above average reviews based on price vs. features. And seriously, I got it CHEAP! Needed a little work, somebody had jammed the reeves pulleys (why I got it cheap) but that's been sorted.

I've already got a smattering of lathe tools, grinder, etc. and I can do a decent enough bit of sharpening.  I have a friend who has boxes and boxes of older tools he purchased at auctions and has told me to come by and sort through so I'm probably set for life.  

I have had a midi lathe for years and did teach myself to turn small bowls on it. So general tooling and basics like chucks & PPE are also sorted.

My task now is sourcing materials because I'd like to experiment with bit larger bowl and platter turning. Goblets and boxes too I suppose.

In no particular order with questions inserted into list,

* Free wood - watch the curbs and pick up off-cuts from tree trimming.  
   Other than a small chainsaw (probably go with an electric) and associated PPE, what else might I want to pick up on the 2nd hand market?  
   I do have a 14" BS with 6" riser and I'll be getting a few alternate blades. Good blades for green wood suggestions?

* eBay - bowl blanks. Bit of a crap-shoot but does anybody have a seller they recommend?

* commercial sources - Cook Woods? Woodcraft (especially in-store when they are cleaning out inventory)? There is also a place about 1hr drive from me that acts as the retail side of a larger lumber operation and Jeff at Metro Hardwoods has been good about keeping off-cuts and blanks in the store.

* private sources - I'm going to make nice with a few of the local tree-trimming services (see "free" above) and I already have contacts through my local woodworking club (www.kcwoodworkersguild.org) and if I make it past 6 mo and still enjoy playing with the Griz, probably join the KC Woodturners too.

* efficiency bowls, i.e. glued up blanks from planks

* segmented bowls

Other sources for material I'm not thinking about?  

Which species in commercially prepared blanks make good choices for a beginner (besides cheap)? Ash, soft maple, myrtle, spanish cedar?

Locally there are plenty of Bradford Pears that drop during storm season. Also lots of soft maple species around along with walnut and oaks (pin and a few varieties of red being most common). Many sycamores around town along with elms and red gums. The usual suspects in the evergreen families are present.

At the current time, I really don't have a lot of spare room for storing rough-turned bowls so I'm leaning a bit more toward dried blanks (or at least close to dry) and making up blanks from planks.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I would get a gas chainsaw.  I bought a refurbed Poulan Pro 4218 (42cc and 18" bar) for around $100 off Ebay a couple years ago and it's already paid for itself.  It's been a decent little saw for what it is.  Larger would be better though.  I've pretty well maxxed it out on rip cuts in hard wood.  An electric saw might be good for around the shop.
If you have the budget Stihl or Husqvarna would be much better.
If you're handy with small engines buying used off Craig's List might be an option.  
Craig's List can also be a good source for free wood.
I have several hundred pounds of Western big leaf maple, non-figured and figured ranging from $1 to $4/lb. So far I have only been cutting up the figured stuff but I have rounds of non-figured stuff up to 16" diameter.

Sample
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I have bought a lot of stuff on auctions. I watch for the sale bills with tools especially woodworking and if it says wood and not far I'll go. I have had some tremendous buys doing this.

Another wood I like to turn is Russian olive, it is considered a nuisance out your way but it does turn nice and is quite nice especially figured or knotty. Another is osage orange or hedge nice to turn but will crack on you and fade over time. I like the look of it after it has aged.'

I love doing bowls dry or green. Doing green you have to be meticulous cleaning and some surfaces I put a light coat of white oil even my chisels.
I have told everyone that I know that if they have downed hardwood trees, I can help cut them up and get rid of them. Also watch the free section of Craigslist. I am set for life on bowl blanks.

I also think that you will want a gas saw.
Get a froe for splitting logs into blanks.
(04-25-2019, 09:31 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I have bought a lot of stuff on auctions. I watch for the sale bills with tools especially woodworking and if it says wood and not far I'll go. I have had some tremendous buys doing this.

Another wood I like to turn is Russian olive, it is considered a nuisance out your way but it does turn nice and is quite nice especially figured or knotty. Another is osage orange or hedge nice to turn but will crack on you and fade over time. I like the look of it after it has aged.'

I love doing bowls dry or green. Doing green you have to be meticulous cleaning and some surfaces I put a light coat of white oil even my chisels.

I grew up in SW Kansas and there were LOTs of Russian Olive trees around town. Very fragrant. Bit of trouble to climb them with all the thorns.

Not so many around this corner of the state. But Redbuds grow like ditch weeds. And plenty of Osage Orange to be had. Never really been that big a fan of the stuff except as turned items.
(04-26-2019, 06:04 AM)hairy Wrote: Get a froe for splitting logs into blanks.

That was sort of my thinking. Then I could maybe get by with a smaller chain saw bar.
Gas chain saw. I have a 16 inch and it’s good. 18 inch would be better but you can make do with the 16. An electric one doesn’t have enough power.
Don
(04-26-2019, 06:04 AM)hairy Wrote: Get a froe for splitting logs into blanks.

Big YES here and glad Hairy brought it up.  I got mine and a wooden tree limb from a Secret Santa 4 of 5 years ago and it is a wonderful thing to have and use.  If you get something tough like Elm a wood splitter works just the same.

I see wood all the time and Craigs list is filled with free logs for just pick up.

Me personally I would get with Steve and the Figured Big Leaf Maple which is my all time favorite wood.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.