Hybrid Woodworking?
That's a great looking deck.
The height of the bottom step has bugged me from beginning of the thread.
Wink
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(04-29-2019, 02:09 PM)CLETUS Wrote: The height of the bottom step has bugged me from beginning of the thread.
Wink
Allowing for snow build up around the bottom step in the winter....May be adding a light onto the riser may help.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Lights have been added to the lower two treads..

Old screen door had too many issues to fix....replaced with a better one...hand tools were used..
Cool 

Stanley type 20, a #4c from England, to remove the worst of the high spots along the latch side of the jamb...paint and all..then the #78 to clean back into the corner...
Winkgrin  

test fitting, until it does fit the jamb...

The Boss kept sweeping away the shavings
Rolleyes  Finally was able to step back...
Winkgrin 

And enjoy the view.  Boss wanted a little bit better screendoor, than the flimsy all wood one.  She picked out this solid vinyl one.   Hinges are spring-loaded, to be self closing.

Need to build a gate, to keep fleabags on the porch.    back porch needs a complete demo...
Rolleyes 

6' wide entryway...gate and railing..and that thing that looks like a step....will all be gone.....new railing, new gate to match the railing, new, wider, easier to use step(s).....we park the van back here, rather than on the street....this entire mess needs to be redone, to make getting into the house safer, and easier on the bad knees.....there is a drip from the gutter overhead, that leaves a coating of ice on this tread...not safe.   May add some parts to that gutter, to redirect the drips away from the step, and onto the ground.

Right now, I need a few rain-free days...
Upset
Better take that deck back apart, you didn't notch those posts to bear the weight of the joists...unless your building codes aren't like NYS where they ream you where it counts on everything, but regardless unless you don't have hoedowns on your front porch with a herd of cattle I think you're safe, nice job!
I replaced a broken hollow core door in a 100 year old community hall with a solid core, the hinge side got trimmed. I made a mistake on the hinge placement and hit the stop. Out came the much maligned Stanley #75, paint and all. I guess that is why carpenters had them in their tool boxes. I had bought mine at an antique store out of a carpenters tool box. https://www.google.ca/search?q=stanley+7..._neAhYm4iM:
A man of foolish pursuits
Yep, you take off all the extras and it is almost a shoulder plane.    Wasn't about to use my 100 yr old Auburn No. 181 for this sort of work....much easier to use the 78...it even has a handle!
Winkgrin 

Weather is trying to clear off....may finish the demo....and turn this railing into a gate and railing...
Cool  

Plan is to cut the top and bottom rails, at the 3' mark.....spindles facing out.   Hinged at both rails, gate swings in.   Went closed, it will look like just a railing across the opening...

Lots of nails and screws to remove,  and not many needed to install the new...re-using the old hardware, too.

Sunday still looks like a good day to rebuild the steps....stay tuned...it is still woodworking....right?
Tread lights (solar) were installed the other day...and, since I was out front, working..I got a picture of the lights...
Winkgrin 

Set up a saw table, as I needed a bunch of miter cuts....and trying to get done, before the next rain storm arrives..
Winkgrin

Needed four pieces, cut from a 2 x 4...to build a frame..
Rolleyes 

one screw per corner, for now....added  6 spindles, spaced to match the rest of the spindles,   single screw top and bottom, to allow for flex, when I hang it from the hinges..
Uhoh

Hmmm
Angry  Saggy and sticky.
Upset ...sticky means a handplane will be used....saggy means a turnbuckle gets installed...
Cool 

Looks a bit better?
Cool  Hinged on the left (south side) and swings inward.   latch is on the right, on the inside.   Gate is to keep the resident fleabags ON the porch.   When they are elsewhere, gate will stay opened.   added a second screw to the corners, as needed.  eased a few corners, Boss decided to sweep the deck, again..
Rolleyes

Seems I made another mess.
No   Put the toys away, throw away the wrappers from the hardware..and sit down with a cold Scotch Ale...may have earned one
Confused 
Stay tuned...tomorrow might be a better day...
Rolleyes
Sun came out this afternoon
Cool  had some demo to do...
Rolleyes 

All of this mess had to go....thought I could at least save that 4 x 4 post...nope
No so had to install a pair of new posts..

Bracket is tap-conned to the slab....other post uses 6" Structural screws to attach to the side of the garage...

Then after some careful measuring ( holding the railing in place)  a few saw cuts, and a few screws...

wait..isn't there supposed to be a gate?
Confused 

yep, and it works, too....shut the gate before the fleabags get out..

and make sure it latches..

Didn't like the tall post in the middle...and before the Boss hangs a planter there..
Uhoh 

So...IF tomorrow's weather stays nice.....I can get the step(s) done....and then have a Cold One..

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
New gate..means a new set of steps...and a handrail...
Winkgrin 

Boss has approved...
Cool