Pill Bottle Lids
I get prescription meds from my docs, and had been tossing the empty bottles away.  They come with child proof caps and at my request they include the simple screw off NON-child proof caps as well when they fill them.  I had been tossing the child proof caps, and writing the name of the meds on the smooth top of the ADULT caps when I got them.  Then the extra clean caps would get tossed, so I didn't have to write the name of the med on them again.  Seemed a shame, but how many caps do you need, Right?

Then it hit me.  I had been tearing scraps of brown paper off to squirt dabs of glue on, mix two part epoxy on, and the rest.  I started saving all the pill bottle caps, tossing them in a box to take to the shop.  I also save the tops to the cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.  Just need a bit of glue to dip screws in, or to coat a few corners.  Squirt it in a cap, dip and spread as needed and toss the cap when you are done.  Mix the epoxy on the cottage cheese lid, and use as needed; toss the lid.  That smooth plastic works well and doesn't impart color or newsprint to the epoxy.  I have a basket in the shop containing those lids and caps, and one beside it with all those fake credit cards and business cards that fill my mailbox.  They make great throwaway spreaders for the glue and epoxy. 
Big Grin

I have also saved a few of the larger pill bottles.  I store various fine sawdust from the different wood species in them, mark the bottles with the contents and when I need to plug nail holes I mix a bit with the glue... boom. Done.  Filling a knot hole with the superglue, layer it with the proper sawdust.. sand flush.. boom.  Can also use the larger bottles to store the last small amount of stain or watco oil... when that top gets harder and harder to get off the metal can.  label it and use it up on the next project.  The pill bottles take up less space as well.

Raised
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(04-28-2019, 01:20 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I get prescription meds from my docs, and had been tossing the empty bottles away.  They come with child proof caps and at my request they include the simple screw off NON-child proof caps as well when they fill them.  I had been tossing the child proof caps, and writing the name of the meds on the smooth top of the ADULT caps when I got them.  Then the extra clean caps would get tossed, so I didn't have to write the name of the med on them again.  Seemed a shame, but how many caps do you need, Right?

Then it hit me.  I had been tearing scraps of brown paper off to squirt dabs of glue on, mix two part epoxy on, and the rest.  I started saving all the pill bottle caps, tossing them in a box to take to the shop.  I also save the tops to the cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.  Just need a bit of glue to dip screws in, or to coat a few corners.  Squirt it in a cap, dip and spread as needed and toss the cap when you are done.  Mix the epoxy on the cottage cheese lid, and use as needed; toss the lid.  That smooth plastic works well and doesn't impart color or newsprint to the epoxy.  I have a basket in the shop containing those lids and caps, and one beside it with all those fake credit cards and business cards that fill my mailbox.  They make great throwaway spreaders for the glue and epoxy. 
Big Grin

I have also saved a few of the larger pill bottles.  I store various fine sawdust from the different wood species in them, mark the bottles with the contents and when I need to plug nail holes I mix a bit with the glue... boom. Done.  Filling a knot hole with the superglue, layer it with the proper sawdust.. sand flush.. boom.  Can also use the larger bottles to store the last small amount of stain or watco oil... when that top gets harder and harder to get off the metal can.  label it and use it up on the next project.  The pill bottles take up less space as well.

Raised

I agree with you, I started saving empty pill bottles about 5 months ago and I asked every one in my family to save them for me. Great for storing things like #10 washers. Thanks for the tip about storing sawdust, I have saved it in zip lock bags but I like the bottle idea better. Bags always seem to get lost in the shuffle.

Tom
(04-28-2019, 02:59 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I agree with you, I started saving empty pill bottles about 5 months ago and I asked every one in my family to save them for me. Great for storing things like #10 washers. Thanks for the tip about storing sawdust, I have saved it in zip lock bags but I like the bottle idea better. Bags always seem to get lost in the shuffle.

Tom

Many of the child-proof caps can be converted to easy-off caps by either popping out the insert liner in the cap, or by cutting off the tiny tabs in the lid or on the bottle rim. Some newer ones are more complicated to alter.

Thrifty! I use those 3 oz paper cups intended for bathrooms to mix epoxy and all, then I use popsicle sticks or toothpicks to spread the epoxy. I like the idea of the shallower caps and lids.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-29-2019, 07:05 AM)AHill Wrote: Thrifty!  I use those 3 oz paper cups intended for bathrooms to mix epoxy and all, then I use popsicle sticks or toothpicks to spread the epoxy.  I like the idea of the shallower caps and lids.

I used to buy the bulk bags of banana popsicles for a quick snack and saved all the sticks.  Great for mixing and spreading in some situations, the throw away credit cards are great for covering larger areas. 
Big Grin.
Jim in Okie
Caps can also be used with C clamps to create non-marring surfaces during clamping.
I use thin cardboard, and hot glue, to make dividers, in the bottles.
I store small taps, one in each section-keeps them from banging into each other and getting dull.
Carried them in my tool box, that way for years.
I have a couple really large taps, that I drilled a hole in the lid, for the shank of the tap-then put the tap in to bottle, with the shank sticking out.
Protects the cutting edges nicely.
(04-29-2019, 02:33 PM)branchacctg Wrote: Caps can also be used with C clamps to create non-marring surfaces during clamping.

Another great idea! 
Big Grin
I have saved leather scraps from sheath making to use for the pads, but that might be easier...
Or... Glue leather pads to the pill bottle tops. 
Rolleyes
Jim in Okie
I just glue the leather right to the clamps.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm going to go talk to my doctors to get more drugs. 
Smirk     Since I pay the same for 3 months supply as I would for one, the "loot" pile of old caps and containers doesn't grow fast enough.

I always thought those adult proof lids were planned cruelty. The pharmacists--at least 20 years younger than me--have trouble switching the lids.