Brave! A (not so) new woodworking forum
(05-06-2019, 01:12 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I never understand what people mean by internet safety police, because none of us members really have any power or authority. To be a police of anything, a person needs some kind of authority.

In this forum as well as in others, I do observe that threads about shop safety or violation of shop safety practice are always of interest to many people, judging from both the number of views and the number of posts made on those threads. Sawstop is always a hot topic and to some extent, i think its safety-related nature makes it an interest to many.

Simon

Simon

I think you need to read the intent of what he is talking about.  There used to be ALOT of guys who it was their way or no way, and criticized everything from how it was written to how the tool was used to type of tool.  That is what he meant.

(05-06-2019, 04:23 PM)humanrace Wrote: I seldom post here because of this.

All I can say it is SOOOOO much better then before.  There are a few out there who like to argue with anyone and I always ignore them even if they are writing about me or to me.   I read all the rest of the response and respond accordingly.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-06-2019, 05:16 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Simon

I think you need to read the intent of what he is talking about.  There used to be ALOT of guys who it was their way or no way, and criticized everything from how it was written to how the tool was used to type of tool.  That is what he meant.
He was right about that if that was what he meant to say. I thought he was objecting to topics talking about safety practice or the lack of it seen on some of the youtube videos. Whether it is here or in other forums, I always check out posts about woodworking safety including threads where people share their unfortunate mishaps. We, not just beginners, can always learn from mistakes or potential mistakes other people may make.

Simon
Thank you Arlin for clarifying my statement about safety for me. When a new woodworker sees a dangerous action and takes it for being safe, that deserves some kind of statement to don't do this or this is being done by someone who has many years of experience. A case in point is something I was doing in the shop just yesterday. I was freehand cutting to a line on the tablesaw. Would I advise a newbie to do this--NO. Do I think its too dangerous--No. As a trim carpenter and cabinetmaker, I have cut scribed lines like this MANY times. Go to any jobsite where casing is being fit to a wall or cabinet face, you'll see it done daily.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
One of the biggest fights here on WN---and it became a fight versus an argument---was, at first glance over dust collection.

The issue was really about the differences between dust control and chip collection. Methods and equipment for each subject are different, since chip collection covers heavier material with different flow characteristics. Dust control(more than simply dust collection) deals with much lighter material with much different flow characteristics.

An expert on dust collection maintained his figures/methods were the epitome of the subject and would allow NO other discussions in his threads. As if he had control.
Raised

The other side was about chip collection. That expert was amenable to discussions, since his facts were repeatable. 

The dust control expert(I found later) had been kicked off several other woodworking forums for his behavior. I spent many hours trying to get him to at least quit being so nasty---to no avail and I had to ban him also. The other fellow may still be a member, I don't remember.

It is a shame when experts cannot be civil, because both had really expert advice on their subject.

But, a free membership website has to deal with all kinds of folks.
Relevant but not relevant, in my youth I was once confined to a small metal tube under a lot of pressure for an extended period of time with 125 or so of my closest friends. People often ask me of that experience, "how did you not go insane?" To which the answers were "Who says we were not all insane to begin with?", and that "When the furthest you can get away from any one person is about a hundred yards, you learn quickly to get along with all kinds of people." It's a skill-set that has served me very well for very many years. Sometimes I think we would be a much more civil society with compulsory military service. Other times, I think of the stupid things we did and realize that we all volunteered to be there, so perhaps it is for the best that we weren't full of folks who really didn't want to be there.

At any rate, I've seen a bunch of amazing and genuinely helpful people who are willing to answer all manner of questions here in a polite and friendly way, sometimes dozens of times and with a remarkable amount of grace. And I've seen very smart folks with a lot to offer, who just couldn't stop themselves from being d-bags. I am always grateful to the former and hopeful for the later.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I like Woodnet, the responses are friendly and encouraging. 

YouTube has it's limits , it's great to show how, but if you want a number, it not so good.  I'm learning to TIG weld, there are any number of good instructional videos from the welder manufactures. But when I went looking for help on sharpening a fleamarket find carpenter's hand axe, it's listed in old axe catalogues as a hewing hatchet, Youtube was complete bust. As was Google. In the end I went back to first principles. The woodworking forums I check in on  weren't much help either. BTW  How many build with rough sawn lumber from bush mills operated by drunk sawyers now? chuckle.  Even latest bush mills are pretty slick.
A man of foolish pursuits