Brave! A (not so) new woodworking forum
I'm finally at a stage where ww'ing is a regular component of my life. I'm a crappy woodworker, but I'll start adding build-along threads if you'd like.

Most of my stuff isn't very impressive though, as my favorite thing to build is small boxes!

Oh, I'm an X-er, too. A semester of wood shop and a semester of small engine repair in the eighth grade. I love wood working and built a motorcycle from scratch. Go figure.

Here's the clock I made in that eighth grade class. Hung in my parents' home for twenty five years. Now it's in mine.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Back in 2004 I was 55 y/o and was looking at retiring at 62. I knew I needed something to take my time after retirement. Many people spend a lot of effort on ensuring their financial ability to retire (and rightly so) but they don’t realize how important planning for all the time they’ll have.

I took a wood shop class in my freshman year of high school and really enjoyed it. So I decided to try woodworking. This forum was so helpful in my learning - and still is. I did retire at 62 and woodworking is still what I spend several hours a day doing. I don’t sell anything but have built several dressers, desks, blanket chests, etc. for my 3 children and 8 grandchildren.

While there has been a reduction in the brain trust that I used to see, there is still a lot of good information that flows here. I still don’t have the knowledge to add much to topics, but I can appreciate the quality of most responses to questions.

Just thought I needed to say this in support of this forum.
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Running an online  forum is actually hard work. 

There is a certain % of trolls and nutters that can ruin a forum pretty quick. If you stomp on them you get the "free speech" argument hauled out. Guess what, you don't have any "right " to free speech in a private forum. 

Come into my house and start spouting religious or political rubbish (beyond a simple opinion), and I might just ask you to leave. Same on a forum. 

Good forums are well moderated, have some  basic rules, and attract new members,  Don't like the rules, then your "freedom" is to move along.
It has been interesting to follow this discussion.  I'm new here.  Not my first
rodeo on a forum.  I have come and gone on a number of forums.  I have a very
...look, SQUIRREL, kind of attention span.  I latch on to a new thing, jump on the
internet to learn about it, stumble onto a forum on it and hang for awhile.
A couple of guitar forums, Geocaching, a couple of bike forums.

It is interesting to hear how others got into wood working.  I grew up in wood shop.
It was just part of life.  I was my Dad's third hand.  When he needed help,
he had two tones of voice....one was you had a few minutes to get there,  
the other was you better be moving right now. 

When I dropped out of college and went looking for adventure in the world, 
I fell back on all that knowledge from my Dad.  I worked construction in Alaska for 10 years. 
From that I learned all the building trades, just from being around it. Has served me well the rest of my life. 

I'm currently following this and another wood working forum.
Really looking for some constructive ideas on my boxes.  

It's hard to become a member of an established forum.  The regulars have their daily
banter and the inside jokes.  I pick up some ideas here and there. 

Just some views of someone on the outside looking through the window.
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
I download a lot of YouTube videos for us to watch, but I still love to come here to bump questions to everyone here to see if they are just dummies like me doing a video.

On how I see it is back when everyone was learning and building their tool collection there was a ton of talking back and forth.  Also the build alongs were where people were excited to do something and take pictures and get advise along the build.
Now a lot of guys have been doing it for a while and not doing as many projects nor committing to the time to take pictures and posting them.

If guys want build alongs they should encourage others and do so themselves.  Asking others to do a build along is easy if the person has the time to take the pictures.

I would do that if and when I get a camera instead of having to borrow my daughters and wait until she brings it.
Crazy

I want to do some videos of turning to, to help encourage other disabled to learn and need at least two cameras but that is a lot of money I do not have.

So maybe when this post is done several people can make posts in Woodworking, Power tools, and Handtools and Turning to encourage others to post. 
Yes
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-04-2019, 04:51 AM)ianab Wrote: Good forums are well moderated,

Of the woodworking forums I been to, one is moderated with an iron fist, with threads locked freely either by the owner or moderators or at the request of a member or two in public or through PMs (luckily these members are not moderators, or the forum would become their personal blogs!). Yet locked threads could also be UNLOCKED for more discussions apparently after some "senior" (paying?) members PM the decision makers! But the worst is when threads with lots of inputs and thousands of views could "disappear" without warning. The arrogant "I am the boss" attitude on full display.

On the other extreme end is this power tool forum that the only kind of thread I seen removed is a fraudulent post, like listing a $500 saw stop pcs (brand new) for sale. Even when someone accused one of the moderators of something, the exchanges between the accuser and the accused pursued with no one threatening to lock or remove the discussion.

I think (hope?) Woodnet is somewhere in the middle.

Simon
Good evening woodneters. I am one of those people that this thread applies to. I haven't posted in a very long time ,though I still come in occasionally to see what's new. There are several reasons that I quit contributing. I contracted to have a new house built and chose to do all the trim work myself. I have all the equipment to make the trim, and did it all in a Victorian style, wide baseboards, windows with stools and capitals, etc. It took quite a while, but I think it looks good.

The main reason that I quit posting was the general attitude of some of the members. There was one that I will not name(Though he has since passed) that was just plain arrogant thinking he was the expert and if you didn't do it his way you were wrong. Several others use this forum as a pissing contest-- ( I have better tools-I have more tools- I do this for a living so I'm the expert). 

I watched a melt down just a week or 2 ago talking about the use of SketchUp.  I personally don't like the program, I have Catia, which is the industry standard for aircraft and automotive. Kinda hard to top (LONG learning curve though)

Lastly I have gotten tired of the internet OSHA police. Sure, if someone sees some really stupid dangerous process in a video, say something so maybe a newby wont chop off a hand. But for cripes sake, if some of the OSHA police were to go to a real job site and see what passes for daily procedure, they'd have a seizure.  

P.S. Hello Arlin--glad you're still around.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
(05-05-2019, 07:53 PM)The Tinman Wrote: Good evening woodneters. I am one of those people that this thread applies to. I haven't posted in a very long time ,though I still come in occasionally to see what's new. There are several reasons that I quit contributing. I contracted to have a new house built and chose to do all the trim work myself. I have all the equipment to make the trim, and did it all in a Victorian style, wide baseboards, windows with stools and capitals, etc. It took quite a while, but I think it looks good.

The main reason that I quit posting was the general attitude of some of the members. There was one that I will not name(Though he has since passed) that was just plain arrogant thinking he was the expert and if you didn't do it his way you were wrong. Several others use this forum as a pissing contest-- ( I have better tools-I have more tools- I do this for a living so I'm the expert). 

I watched a melt down just a week or 2 ago talking about the use of SketchUp.  I personally don't like the program, I have Catia, which is the industry standard for aircraft and automotive. Kinda hard to top (LONG learning curve though)

Lastly I have gotten tired of the internet OSHA police. Sure, if someone sees some really stupid dangerous process in a video, say something so maybe a newby wont chop off a hand. But for cripes sake, if some of the OSHA police were to go to a real job site and see what passes for daily procedure, they'd have a seizure.  

P.S. Hello Arlin--glad you're still around.

I missed you buddy. 
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-05-2019, 07:53 PM)The Tinman Wrote: Lastly I have gotten tired of the internet OSHA police. Sure, if someone sees some really stupid dangerous process in a video, say something so maybe a newby wont chop off a hand. But for cripes sake, if some of the OSHA police were to go to a real job site and see what passes for daily procedure, they'd have a seizure.  

I never understand what people mean by internet safety police, because none of us members really have any power or authority. To be a police of anything, a person needs some kind of authority.

In this forum as well as in others, I do observe that threads about shop safety or violation of shop safety practice are always of interest to many people, judging from both the number of views and the number of posts made on those threads. Sawstop is always a hot topic and to some extent, i think its safety-related nature makes it an interest to many.

Simon
(05-02-2019, 12:43 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I was on the Wood magazine forum since the late 90's...Wood pulled the plug on it some years ago. (It's fair to say IMHO, that Wood terribly mismanaged the whole thing.) In some ways these forums are becoming a lot like the magazines that are failing. You go over the same topic so many times it gets old for those of us who have been around a while. I still enjoy the forums (until they lose their civility) and the various opinions so I frequent about 5 different ones.

I seldom post here because of this.