Chain link fence question
I am going to install a chain link fence.  The fence will be 6' tall.  I do not see 10' line posts at the Home Depot or Lowes.  Personally I don't believe 18-20" is deep enough to bury a fence post. 

Lowes does not publish the gauge of their posts.  They do have 10' posts, which they claim to be line posts, but they are the same diameter as their end posts.

I would think I could drive a line post in 3' deep and not have to cement it.  I could just cement the corner/gate posts.

What does the brain trust say.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(05-03-2019, 04:47 PM)Cecil Wrote: I am going to install a chain link fence.  The fence will be 6' tall.  I do not see 10' line posts at the Home Depot or Lowes.  Personally I don't believe 18-20" is deep enough to bury a fence post. 

Lowes does not publish the gauge of their posts.  They do have 10' posts, which they claim to be line posts, but they are the same diameter as their end posts.

I would think I could drive a line post in 3' deep and not have to cement it.  I could just cement the corner/gate posts.

What does the brain trust say.

It's been years since I installed mine (4' for a very large dog kennel...30'x60') but I put the line posts in 24" and used those cross braces (look like an X hammered into the ground with the post) and I was was hugely surprised at just how firm they held the posts. This was in some tough clay soil, that may have something to do with the grip it had. Anyway, I'd check at some other retailers for what you want. One of the farm/urban living outlets may have a lot better selection. BTW, I sold that fence about 12 years later after we lost our dog, and getting those posts with the X out took a fair amount of work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I get mine from a fence company they have better stuff and what you will need.
(05-04-2019, 05:49 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I get mine from a fence company they have better stuff and what you will need.

+1    For 6' fence they recommend 2 7/8" corner posts and 2 3/8" line posts 10' long with the corner posts set in concrete.    The big box stores probably will not stock all the hardware for the larger posts but for a fence company this size is normal.    Roly
I got my fencing material at Home Depot---larger diameter corner posts than the line posts. I put in about 600' of fencing with 9 corner/gate posts set in concrete  and line posts just pounded into the ground at 36" depths. Top rail is about 5' high. That was 11 years ago---doing just fine.
I found these folks.
https://www.hooverfence.com/

I sent an inquiry, asking for a quote.  Using their online quoting system, they are less than HD.  To create a quote, I just filled in dimensions and gate info, and it calculated what I need.  The problem is, they are quoting 8' posts.  They have 8'6" posts, of a heavier gauge.  We will see what they say on Monday.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I kind of wish the cl posts on our fence were only cemented in 18" or so.
If so, when a hurricane hit us, it might have knocked the fence down, without bending the posts!
Main problem was, the fence was covered with vines.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer