<<SOLD>>Saturday Blue Light Special...Unusual saw
This is IMO a "greenwood" back saw but like none I have ever seen before...and no one else that I have shown it to has ever seen one.I have had it twenty years...With a patent date of 1886, it was made by Simonds Saw Works...The blade is 14" long and it looks like it has an apple wood handle..The handle is a "three screw" with what I call a "nose"..another unusual characteristic..It is a taper ground spring steel blade...The handle has a tight crack through one screw hole {in the usual place} but the crack does not go all the way through..Otherwise it is in excellent shape, especially for it's age...The  blade is "eye-popping" sharp!!!!! It will "grab your skin"  of your finger if you touch it,,I have used it to prune a 2" tree branch and it is unbelievable how fast it cuts!!!!..The blade has no rust but is heavily patinated, with some dried oil on the spine as you can see...I have no idea exactly what this saw was made for, but I can tell you it cuts green wood big time!!!!!!!!!
Big eek It does have the first one inch of the blade filed with conventional teeth to make it easier to start I presume.. ..The late saw Guru, Phil Baker examined it and he had never seen one before...He wanted it but I wanted to keep it myself.. Phil passed away last year or else it would be going into his collection...But, at my age it is time to pass it down to someone else that will appreciate it's rarity as much as we did.
   Selling it for $100.00 plus actual shipping charges...Paypal only...USA only {sorry} Thanks for looking

[Image: fullsizeoutput-4a5.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-4a1.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-49f.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-497.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-4ab.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-499.jpg]

[Image: Ooy4-Yp-OPRga-Sfvg8-1-W00w.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Strange teeth. You think those are factory, Pops?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-09-2019, 02:44 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Strange teeth. You think those are factory, Pops?
Absolutely, son... Disston made a Greenwood panel saw years ago and the teeth were very similar..I sold one here on Woodnet to a fellow netter in Savannah.I bought it at Liberty Toolworks in Liberty Maine...Not worth  flip on dried lumber but dyn-O-mite on green..Made just like an ordinary panel saw except for the teeth. The most unusual thing about it IMO was this one is a back saw..... and it was etched with instructions for sharpening and setting which are still legible...It requires a special file with safe sides for deepening the long gullet.
Crazy

Here's a link to one of Disston's D-17 Notice the tooth pattern

D-17, D-117 (Double Duty)

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/quickglance.html
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks. Good info Dad.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-11-2019, 11:29 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Thanks. Good info Dad.

Now, you better remember him on Father's Day.
I have the calendar red inked on that day
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020