Wheelchair ramp?
I need to get an outdoor wheelchair ramp about 10 feet long. I'd appreciate any advice from people who have one. Thanks.
Do you only need 10" of rise?

For something small and simple like that I'd probably just build one with treated lumber and decking boards. My advice is anything more than one inch of rise per foot of run is just too much, especially for patients in manual chairs or slippery conditions. In places with winter climates ramps can be very dangerous and scary for users and pedestrians alike.

My son's ramp was going to need 36 inches of rise. Due to the lay of the land it would have been over 40  feet long with several switchbacks that would end up taking up most of my front yard. I opted for an electric lift installed in the garage. He's able to get in and out the house in the comfort of the warm, dry garage. After 14 years of use it was definitely the way to go. It probably even cost me less than building the ramp would have. I had to install a door into the house specifically for it, as well as make some changes to a closet for access. I was able to find and buy the $8500 porch lift for about $1200 on ebay. It was less than a year old and had only been used a few times. I jumped right in the truck and drove 650 miles round trip to pick it up.

If you're set on a ramp, check out discountramps.com, I don't have a wheelchair ramp from them but bought a couple other types of ramps and they've been great. Well made and of good quality, very happy with them.
(05-05-2019, 04:02 PM)JSpill Wrote: I need to get an outdoor wheelchair ramp about 10 feet long. I'd appreciate any advice from people who have one. Thanks.

See https://www.modular-wheelchair-ramps.com...lines.aspx for specs.
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
(05-05-2019, 04:02 PM)JSpill Wrote: I need to get an outdoor wheelchair ramp about 10 feet long. I'd appreciate any advice from people who have one. Thanks.

Building codes which would apply.

slope  1 in 12 max.   if you have a rise of 24" needed then you need 24 feet of ramp.  If the rise is greater then 30" you will need a landing so no run is longer then 30 feet.  36" wide minimum.... handrails on each side. etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ada+ramp...29&bih=862
WoodNET... the new safespace
There are more specs on the handrails:  https://www.thebalancesmb.com/ada-ramp-c...ion-844440

ADA Ramp Handrails
When a handicap ramp has a rise greater than 6 inches or a horizontal projection greater than 72 inches, the ramp must have handrails on both sides. However, handrails are not required on curb ramps. Specific guidelines for ADA-compliant ramps include:
  • The ramp must have handrails on both sides of all ramp segments. The inside handrail on switchbacks shall always be continuous. When a handrail is not continuous, handrails shall extend at least 12 inches beyond the top and bottom segment and must be parallel with the floor and/or ground surface.
  • A clear space of 1 1/2 inches must be provided between the handrail and the wall where the handrail is installed.
  • When the handrail is located in a recess, it must be at least 3 inches deep and shall extend at least 18 inches above the top of the rail.
  • Surfaces of the handrail shall be continuous without interruption or obstructions.
  • The top of the handrail surface shall be placed between 34 and 38 inches above the ramp's finished floor surface.
  • The diameter of the gripping surface of the handrail shall be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches, or the shape shall provide an equivalent surface.
  • The handrail shall be free of any sharp or abrasive elements. Edges shall have a minimum radius of 1/8 inch.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
FWIW, ADA guidelines apply to public buildings and accommodation.
The 1:12 slope has been the "standard" for many years.
It is the standard most wheelchairs are tested at, for stability, and such.
Probably good to verify if the local inspector insists on following it, in private residences.
(05-07-2019, 11:42 AM)rlnguy Wrote: FWIW, ADA guidelines apply to public buildings and accommodation.
The 1:12 slope has been the "standard" for many years.
It is the standard most wheelchairs are tested at, for stability, and such.
Probably good to verify if the local inspector insists on following it, in private residences.

Here is a pic of my wheelchair ramp.I mostly use it for my mobility scooter,except in the winter when I use my wheel chair..It is built to code for our area.

Mel

Attached Files Image(s)

ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(05-07-2019, 02:06 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Here is a pic of my wheelchair ramp.I mostly use it for my mobility scooter,except in the winter when I use my wheel chair..It is built to code for our area.

Mel

It would not be to code in a lot of other places if they comply with the ADA code.  I cannot see the landing at the top, but clearly these is no landing at the bottom (unless they consider the pavement as part of the landing, and even so it would not appear to be 36" wide on the pavement.
  • All ramps shall have top and bottom landings as wide as the ramp itself and at least 60 inches long.

• Landing size must be at least 5 feet square.

No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.