White oak log Jamestown NC
Check the Forestry Forum they have a list of sawmillers.

http://forestryforum.com/
I've been there, done that so many times.

The issue you're going to have is most sawyers won't touch a tree from a yard due to metal.

I've had guys refuse me even when I offered to buy them a new blade if they hit something.
(05-08-2019, 09:42 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: The issue you're going to have is most sawyers won't touch a tree from a yard due to metal.

We had 12 walnuts removed from around our parking lot at the office. No one was interested in sawing them. However, the tree removal company took the butt logs away in 10' lengths.... I'm guessing they went straight to a mill.

I just removed a 30" diameter tree from my yard, I had plenty of room to drop it. It was a son of gun dealing with the butt log, I couldn't split it with a maul so I was forced to cut it into 8"-10" thick rounds so I could lift them on the trailer.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(05-08-2019, 10:28 AM)CLETUS Wrote: I just removed a 30" diameter tree from my yard, I had plenty of room to drop it. It was a son of gun dealing with the butt log, I couldn't split it with a maul so I was forced to cut it into 8"-10" thick rounds so I could lift them on the trailer.

A saw cut down the middle of it lengthwise, then start driving wedges down the length of it with your maul.
You can make the wedges from wood, don't have to buy them...
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-08-2019, 10:28 AM)CLETUS Wrote: We had 12 walnuts removed from around our parking lot at the office. No one was interested in sawing them. However, the tree removal company took the butt logs away in 10' lengths.... I'm guessing they went straight to a mill.

Larger commercials mills don't want yard trees because a metal strike costs big money in blade damage and lost production while it's swapped out. Make a habit of selling them metal infested wood, and you will soon be blacklisted. 

Smaller band and swing blade mills aren't so bad. $20-30 to replace or re-tip a blade, and 5 mins to change it over. You can scan with a metal detector and take the risk, but you don't want to be paying much for the logs. But it's cheaper for the tree service to give away a log to an "urban salvage" sawyer, vs paying dump fees to take it to a landfill. So there is a good chance the logs did end up being sawn, but the tree company didn't make a killing on them. 

This is why sawyers laugh at the online posts wanting $5,000 for a yard walnut tree. $5,000 dollar trees do exist, but it's not growing in your front yard.
(05-09-2019, 03:36 AM)ianab Wrote: Larger commercials mills don't want yard trees because a metal strike costs big money in blade damage and lost production while it's swapped out. Make a habit of selling them metal infested wood, and you will soon be blacklisted. 

Smaller band and swing blade mills aren't so bad. $20-30 to replace or re-tip a blade, and 5 mins to change it over. You can scan with a metal detector and take the risk, but you don't want to be paying much for the logs. But it's cheaper for the tree service to give away a log to an "urban salvage" sawyer, vs paying dump fees to take it to a landfill. So there is a good chance the logs did end up being sawn, but the tree company didn't make a killing on them. 

This is why sawyers laugh at the online posts wanting $5,000 for a yard walnut tree. $5,000 dollar trees do exist, but it's not growing in your front yard.

Definitely true.  I just brought home 4 logs from two walnut trees in a homeowner's yard, with one more tree (and the best of the three) to go.  The homeowner tried to get a couple of commercial loggers to take them. They wouldn't take them even for free. Me? Why thank you.

[Image: Wo6YsqKwmYP1bE3kfBbazAhxWMRhA2ByexYO-h82...06-h566-no]

The one with the rope is the second one we took down.  The first one was further back and the butt log is full of nails and screws.  I'm not sure if my metal detector will keep me out of trouble or not.  After you hit a couple of pieces of metal in the same log it gets rather futile to think there won't be any more.  If this were some less desirable wood I would have just let me arborist friend cut it into firewood rounds.  In the left foreground is a partial view of my log arch.  As long as I can back up to the log, either with my car or ATV, I can pick up a 30" x 10' log w/o issue and drive it home.  The tree just behind the arch is the nicest and largest of the three.  

[Image: OxYR82DVrm8tioCO-g1MjYMYf2V6SEOYtgz2PvGz...06-h566-no]

Just waiting for it to stop raining enough for the ground to harden up enough to carry them out to the back of my property to mill.  Might be June!  

John
It's gone.  Guess it was a package deal and they had all they could haul last week.  Came back this week and finished cleaning up.

It was too far away anyway.  
Sigh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)