We had Home Depot install our kitchen countertops
(05-08-2019, 12:15 PM)meackerman Wrote: when I bought my shop's two garage doors, I went through HD.  When the guys came to install them, I was talking to the installer and he said I could have saved about $400 going directly to them.

I had the same conversation with the guy who called to setup the installation. He knew they had quotes us directly also. He said the quotes were about the same because HD marks them up. If I went directly through them, they would have paid their salesman commission which is about the same as HD's mark-up. The don't have to pay HD commission.  All I care about is if the wife likes the finished product or not. Everybody should be paid.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-08-2019, 01:15 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I had the same conversation with the guy who called to setup the installation. He knew they had quotes us directly also. He said the quotes were about the same because HD marks them up. If I went directly through them, they would have paid their salesman commission which is about the same as HD's mark-up. The don't have to pay HD commission.  All I care about is if the wife likes the finished product or not. Everybody should be paid.

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but where did you get your cabinets from?

Matt
(05-08-2019, 02:39 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but where did you get your cabinets from?

Matt

Kitchen Cabinet Express

They were shipped in flat cartons and I assembled them. Not sure I could have done better anywhere with pricing. They were recommended by a fellow woodnetter. I'm not a fan of white but the wife likes them. Soft close hinges and drawer glides. The cupboards have pull out drawers (optional). All the drawers are dovetailed front and back. They're all stock sizes.

I've seen the same manufacturer (Forevermark) in a few homes I've inspected. The stained drawer fronts and doors look very nice. I saw the Sienna Rope cabinets in a fairly high end home yesterday and they looked very nice. They kind of cheap out on the carcasses but at east they're plywood. Shelves are plywood. Once they're in place, they're plenty sturdy. Overall, I'm very happy with them. The wall oven cabinet needs modification

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Snipe Hunter, That looks real nice. We had quartz put on our kitchen cabinets several years ago. You will love it.
Looks great!!

...my opinion is of no importance and carries zero weight...

I kinda know that feeling.  I fight it more than I should, though.  
Laugh
(05-08-2019, 05:56 PM)KC Wrote: ...my opinion is of no importance and carries zero weight...

I kinda know that feeling.  I fight it more than I should, though.  
Laugh

I fought it with the first wife.

Little tip

... Kizar Sosay

(05-08-2019, 02:39 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but where did you get your cabinets from?

Matt

BTW:

I had to cut down those shallow base cabinets from 24" deep to 12". Also had to modify the drawers and buy 9" glides. That extends into the dining area and the room isn't very wide. Needed table space.

I bought Blum Tandem Blumotion. Not happy with them. The "soft" close function doesn't work well on shallow drawers. In retrospect, I would have bought cheaper full-extension glides without the soft close function. I don't think the rear mounting brackets were intended for these glides. The soft close mechinism is so far back that there's no way to attach them to the brackets. Been very happy with Blum products in the past. I made rear mounting brackets out of the ones that came with the cabinets.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-07-2019, 09:40 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: The counters look great with those cabinets.

Honestly, I didn't like them when the wife picked them out or after installation. But two days later, they're really growing on me. I think I like them now.

... Kizar Sosay