What finish for log with bark
Hey, I'm asking for a fellow woodworker.  He wants to make an outdoor bench from part of the trunk of an oak tree, a single base with three limbs coming off of it, going up, I've included a picture.  I've warned him about the potential (actually, the certainty) of the thing rotting with ground contact, but can't advise him as to the best way to keep this from happening or how to make sure the bark stays on.  He's thinking about using an epoxy based finish, but really, we were both wondering, what's the best way to protect the base from rot and from the bark falling off?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
Epoxy.. lots of it.. by the gallon..

Or take the bark off and use outdoor polyurethane.
(05-15-2019, 10:43 AM)RKMBrown© Wrote: Epoxy.. lots of it.. by the gallon..

Or take the bark off and use outdoor polyurethane.

How dry is the trunk now ?  If very much moisture (which I suspect) no coating is going to hold the bark on  and guaranteed splitting will occur.  Roly
(05-15-2019, 12:50 PM)Roly Wrote: How dry is the trunk now ?  If very much moisture (which I suspect) no coating is going to hold the bark on  and guaranteed splitting will occur.  Roly

If cut in the winter.. the bark might stay on for a year or two. If you soak bark in epoxy you at least have the option of pin nailing it. But yeah IMO better off giving it a year or two to dry, debark it, and finish with poly(spar). Make sure they set it on gravel or some surface that won't hold water and it should last decades.