Amateur woodworkers - Do you do woodworking to relax?
Timely thread.

I thought I did woodworking for a combination of practicality and fun. Lately it's just been pressure to get a couple projects done and frustration with problem after problem, causing me to question my definition of "fun." It isn't, except when things go well and the project comes out nicely and I have a sense of accomplishment only a little tarnished by all the imperfections I see.

It helps a little to know I'm no more of a masochist than many here.

I figure heaven is a place where the wood doesn't warp or split wrong, the tools are always square, and you don't need extra trips to the store.
Phydeaux
(05-21-2019, 10:08 AM)Phydeaux Wrote: a little tarnished by all the imperfections I see

but they are also imperfections that most non-woodworkers won't see.

Yesterday I came across a site that offers woodworking classes as well as products made by the owner instructor. His asking prices are high judging from the quality of his work. Gappy dovetails to name one. But his target is people who love wood, but have little background in woodworking. 

Simon
Relaxing? No. But the satisfaction of giving someone something they asked for is motivates me. Armoires, bookcases, etc. I rarely make small things, but making fancy boxes for granddaughters is a joy. I mostly use wood I have cut down myself and hauled to the mill (walnut, ash, hickory, elm). I like that part of the brag: “This is made from wood that I cut on our own farm.”