HVAC R22 or R410a?
[attachment=18434]I made an offer on a house built in 2006.  The HVAC is original.

The outside unit does not have a nameplate.  I noticed it is very dirty, and after running for a while it dropped house temperature but the suction line outside iced up.  

Can you tell if this is R22 vs R410a based on the line size?

The small line is probably 1/4-3/8 inch.

The suction is much larger and is probably at least 1" where it transitions before entering the home.

Chuck
Short answer, no, line size is no help in determining which refrigerant is in the system.  There are several other means to that.  The inside of the electrical access panel should have information on it to help.  The actual model number of the compressor can also be used. These are no guarantee as to what is actually in the system but clues only.  There are a myriad of other products out there that the unknowing or unscrupulous may have put in the system.  The frosted suction line could be a number of things, a dirty air filter to an install issue like inadequate return duct sizing or an undersized air handler.  The absence of an ID plate or tag always raises concern about the unit having been stolen or perhaps a warranty write off that was repaired.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The house is near the coast (2+hrs away).  Hoping it will be my forever house.

Made an offer and am working through due diligence.

Concerned if this is R22 and it fails sometime soon it will be an expensive replacement cost.

I have someone in the area who is willing to help.  Will pass this along - thanks!
I would bet that its an r22 unit and I would also bet that it's probably under charged. Just from that picture alone and description I would plan on a complete replacement. 

The old R22 units were durable and reliable (for the most part) but they are very expensive to recharge and they are often not very efficient. Here where AC runs 10 months out of the year there aren't too many R22 ssytems left as the rule of thumb here is if it's over 10 years old plan on replacing it in the near future. It's a hostile environment for them here and places like Vegas are a little hotter but it's dry there. 

If you go for replacement also be aware that 410a is on the way out soon and will be replaced with a hydrocarbon refrigerant (like the rest of the world has been doing for many decades).
If it is in fact R-22, either get it fixed now and budget for replacement or replace now. Come Jan-1, R-22 will no longer be available. You'll need to replace he condenser unit and the indoor evaporator coil section after Jan-1. Evap coils are cheap compared to the condenser/pump unit.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

13 year old unit and counting, and having problems.  I'd be giving serious consideration to scrapping it and going new.  As low-tech as I could get, but new.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(05-20-2019, 10:19 AM)TDKPE Wrote: 13 year old unit and counting, and having problems.  I'd be giving serious consideration to scrapping it and going new.  As low-tech as I could get, but new.

There is allot to be said for new even if it's a cheapie it's better than old and worn out.
I agree that it isn't worth putting a lot of money into repairs but I wouldn't replace it because of a really dirty filter either.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

If it ices up quickly outside, it's probably bad indoor air flow. Filter clogged, dirty indoor coil, closed registers, collapsed duct........... This may also ice the compressor.

If it takes a while to ice up outside (perhaps an hour or more) it's probably the charge. The indoor coil ices up first, then as the coil becomes completely restricted by ice, the icing travels back to the suction line.

The system will run a long time trying to cool, making it worse.

It could also be a restriction in the metering device (TXV or piston or old cap tubes) or a blower that quits periodically or a contactor outside stuck closed.

I vote for R22 if it is over 17 years or so old.
It is R22.

2100 sq ft. 3 zones. Zone 1 downstairs. Zone 2 is 2 upstairs BRs. Zone 3 large bonus room over garage.

Visited Friday. Hot as hell outside.

All 3 zones set at 77 degrees. Zones 1 and 2 hold setpoint. Zone 3 never got below 79 degrees.

AC man supposed to service the system Tuesday and install a new pad to raise in outside unit.

I would like to get a couple of years out of the system.