Basement had water, need new carpet
Living in FL, I don't see a lot of basements, so forgive my ignorance.  Can you add a raised floor that will allow the water to flow to the pump without damaging the flooring?
A friend of mine has a basement prone to water. He installed vinyl plank flooring. He put it down so that he can start at the end of the basement where water comes in and pull it up as he needs to. He really wanted to just paint the concrete and go with area rugs but his wife insisted on some kind of flooring.
(05-21-2019, 07:41 AM)stav Wrote: Living in FL, I don't see a lot of basements, so forgive my ignorance.  Can you add a raised floor that will allow the water to flow to the pump without damaging the flooring?

In this particular case, it wouldn't do any good. It was the sump that was overflowing onto the floor. That said, I'm not sure I know how we would do that anyway.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-21-2019, 08:32 AM)fredhargis Wrote: In this particular case, it wouldn't do any good. It was the sump that was overflowing onto the floor. That said, I'm not sure I know how we would do that anyway.

I was thinking a grid of pressure treated 2x4 or similar. I did a search and there are tiles that have groves in them to allow for drainage too.  The pump is the obvious first fix though.
(05-21-2019, 08:32 AM)fredhargis Wrote: In this particular case, it wouldn't do any good. It was the sump that was overflowing onto the floor. That said, I'm not sure I know how we would do that anyway.

Several pumped basements I have seen have huge issues when they lose power.  Up here in Maine I have had a Genrac generator put in.  It comes on within 30 seconds of losing power.  This is really great when you are away on for days at a time.   Unfortunately some areas of the country can not count 100% on never losing power.   Cost was  about it $7000 for installation and all.  I"m worth it.  My backup power comes from propane bottles normally used for home heating.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
We're set up with a standby generator, I had a Generac installed about 3 years ago. Not for the sump pump, but for my wife's medical equipment.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-21-2019, 07:41 AM)stav Wrote: Living in FL, I don't see a lot of basements, so forgive my ignorance.  Can you add a raised floor that will allow the water to flow to the pump without damaging the flooring?
Yes and no, but more "no" than "yes".

You can do it and it can keep the floor dry, but it will prevent the water from drying out underneath promoting the growth of mold.  That mold is almost guaranteed if you trap the water so I think this is probably not a good idea.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If this isn't much more than hobby or casual living space, I'd probably go with staining the existing concrete and using area rugs. Then, if this happens again, cleanup is way more simple.

Obviously, fixing the water intrusion is required though.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry