Polyurethane over Mineral Oil
I am finishing a project with Minwax Polyurethane and am ready for a near final sanding.
I would like to use mineral oil (not mineral spirits) as a lubricant with wet or dry sandpaper.

Will that cause a problem for another final coat of polyurethane?  

Gary minor
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I wet sand Minwax oil based poly with water and 320 to 400 grit between coats.  The water seems to work well, is cheaper than oil, cleans up easier and does not create any adhesion issues.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-21-2019, 09:19 AM)Gary386 Wrote: I am finishing a project with Minwax Polyurethane and am ready for a near final sanding.
I would like to use mineral oil (not mineral spirits) as a lubricant with wet or dry sandpaper.

Will that cause a problem for another final coat of polyurethane?  

Gary minor

Might, but you can avoid all the possible grief by using water or mineral spirits.  You're going to have to clean the swarf with mineral spirits after oil, anyway.

You using water-based or oil?  Difference is a couple of rinses....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I’m using oil based polyurethane.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
(05-21-2019, 02:02 PM)Gary386 Wrote: I’m using oil based polyurethane.

Between coats there's no reason to use anything, IMHO.  

John
(05-21-2019, 02:02 PM)Gary386 Wrote: I’m using oil based polyurethane.

Good.  All you need between coats is "tooth," so a quick CAMI 320 or P400 with a mineral spirit wipe will give next coat plenty to adhere to.  Make sure you dull the entire surface, or you may get drawback from unscuffed areas, and be forced to rub and feather to make the edge disappear.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.