Table top finish
Making a farm table, so I used 2x12s from the lumber yard. Spruce probably. Anyway, two coats of floor-grade satin poly have been applied. Sanded between coats, but it is not a perfect surface. Even though the wood quality is not furniture grade, customer wants it to have the look of other tables I have finished with Arm-r-Seal. Can I wipe a final topcoat of oil-based Arm-r-Seal over the poly? —Peter
(05-22-2019, 08:33 AM)petertay15 Wrote: Making a farm table, so I used 2x12s from the lumber yard. Spruce probably.  Anyway, two coats of floor-grade satin poly have been applied. Sanded between coats, but it is not a perfect surface.  Even though the wood quality is not furniture grade, customer wants it to have the look of other tables I have finished with Arm-r-Seal.  Can I wipe a final topcoat of oil-based Arm-r-Seal over the poly? —Peter

If your customer wanted the look of ARS it would have been best to use ARS for all of it.  But to answer your question, yes, mostly likely ARS will bond OK with what you already have applied as long as scuff the surface with 325 grit prior to applying it.  But you would be wise to make a test panel to make sure it will be OK.  

John
Thanks, John. I went ahead and put the Arm-r-Seal over the well-sanded poly. Looks great! Everybody happy, but time will tell. —Peter