Groundhog
Anyone have an idea on how to make a Groundhog to move on? I have one uder my deck and not sure if it will do any damage. Thanks Stan 
Sigh
(05-23-2019, 09:03 AM)bgosh Wrote: Anyone have an idea on how to make a Groundhog to move on? I have one uder my deck and not sure if it will do any damage. Thanks Stan 
Sigh

Get a hungry Dachshund!  Or settle for a baited live catch trap and move him somewhere appropriate.  

John
220 conibear..........
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

If you try and trap it you need to use a good bait....believe it or not Cantaloupe works great, though even then they are cagey and are hard to trap. They WILL do damage (google it - they can dig thru concrete if given enough time). I had an infestation on our land when we first moved here. After shooting 10+ the last couple got pretty skittish - I ended up using sulfur smoke bombs to gas them in their holes. Got them off of Amazon and they worked great.
Assuming you can't shoot him, the next thing to use if the smoke bombs (Giant Killer). Be sure to find both ends of the burrow so he doesn't get away, then light them and throw them in (cover the hole). Leave him in there and just fill the hole as best you can. Should you decide to live trap him, I can attest to the fact that they like cantaloupe...based on how much they like to chew on the ones I grow.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-23-2019, 09:03 AM)bgosh Wrote: Anyone have an idea on how to make a Groundhog to move on? I have one uder my deck and not sure if it will do any damage. Thanks Stan 
Sigh

If you do live trap the critter and decide to move it make sure you look up the laws for you state.  In Michigan it is very "verboten" to move live wild animals off of your property.  Something they take very seriously, especially around farm country.

The recommended procedure, per the DNR when I called, was to just kill the animal humanely.  In my area that just meant a 22lr to the head.
A beagle would make short work of it.
Second the smoke bomb suggestion. When I did stoop labor on my father in law's vegetable farm, hoeing 800 foot long rows of green beans, they would eat 100 foot of beans in one afternoon.... chased them into their holes, bomb, and kaput. Killed a few with a single shot shotgun we carried in the pickup, killed more than a few with the hoe - not very humane, but....they were eating my beans!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My method of dispatching groundhogs involves one of these for distance;

[Image: smith-wesson-m-p-15-sport-2-ar15-223-5-5...1536_1.jpg]

And for close range, one of these;

[Image: C38308A_bac4276e-4c30-4d49-ac86-52f2da57...60.jpg?c=2]
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-23-2019, 03:13 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: My method of dispatching groundhogs involves one of these for distance;

[Image: smith-wesson-m-p-15-sport-2-ar15-223-5-5...1536_1.jpg]

And for close range, one of these;

[Image: C38308A_bac4276e-4c30-4d49-ac86-52f2da57...60.jpg?c=2]

Ha ha, the .223 is a bit overkill, with a hollow point round there wouldn't be that much left of him.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis