She's Still Standing
I took this photo earlier today from the bridge just to the East of Notre Dame.  

[Image: RhZ1uiZnVUhuhFBpDHdxQeC279PXIoNgdhgs-jxK...06-h566-no]

They have some sort of fabric covering over where the roof once was and wood reinforcements up to stabilize both ends of the short walls (transept I think it's called).  You can't get very close but from what I could see the stone walls were still plumb and intact, though they could still be damaged.  I could see workers up in those wood structures.  All the windows are covered as well, and you can see that if you look closely.  OK, here's a close up:

[Image: xyqObbM_u_Nn6tZEEU2XJbTaza7oujcVT7YpVP7_...06-h566-no]

A lot of people were walking to various vantage points to look at her and take photos, almost like a pilgrimage or maybe just curiosity.  In any case, the French appear dedicated to bringing this iconic structure back to life.  I hope they succeed.    

John
Wow! Thanks for the update.

It's hard to distinguish repair structures from pre-fire restoration. With so much work going on it seems to be all one project.
Looks like all the previous scaffolding up on top has been replaced.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I hope they succeed too. I've read that the damage, while extensive, is not as bad as they feared, especially to the stone structure. Hope that's true. This is a really sad thing.
There was Nova show on PBS on how they built the cathedrals. It's very interesting, since it covers several engineering problems that had to be solved to build tall structures with large spans and lots of windows. The buttresses you see on the outside of the cathedral area part of the solution. It's an hour long, but worth watching. Mostly related to the stone work, but still very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiuEp9Quwwg
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looking at the Nova episode, it seems there are numerous cathedrals over there, and plenty of experts to fix all sorts of problems.
Stwood ------- Looks like all the previous scaffolding up on top has been replaced.

I think I read somewhere that the heat from the fire weakened the original scaffolding. Don't quote me.

Hope they do not get it done just in time to have some more dedicated muslim arsons torch it again. 
Crazy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Mark Twain said it pretty well.  "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness."  

John
(05-26-2019, 03:00 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Mark Twain said it pretty well.  "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness."  

John

Couldn't say your retort as well. Thanks for the olive branch switch.

And, especially, thanks for posting the update. 

Bruce