Quick Turn Around Maple Box
(05-26-2019, 01:23 AM)Cian Wrote: ... But, Johnny, your shop is awesome!!!  Have you been holding out on us??? 
Cool

That's another thing I think, too.

It might be time for the JohnnyEgo $1 Shop Tour...

I like that table saw sled.
Nice job.

When I was in grade school it was forbidden for students to offer gifts to teachers.  I guess they were concerned that the gift would be percieved as a "bribe".  

Nowadays even Starbucks gets in the action:

[Image: s-l300.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Simple, elegant, and beautiful. And on a schedule I couldn't hope to match!

About your miters -- They're my absolute favorite joint, with splines. I use a Wixey angle finder to set the blade at 45* and an Incra miter gauge set to 90*. A perfectly set up 90* cross cut sled with a stop block will work just as will.

Have you tried that method?
Semper fi,
Brad

I have a fairly square crosscut sled, and a fancy Jessem miter gauge that are as spot on to 90 degrees as I am going to get with a dial indicator on my saw, and I do use them to make my cross cuts. I also use a Wixey to set my blade angle, and before I built the donkey's ear, I'd crank the blade all the way over and use the Jessem and a sacrificial MDF backerboard to make my miters. What I like about the donkey's ear jig is that I don't have to fight the miter stops on my table saw, and I don't have to crank the blade all the way back and forth if I need to crosscut a piece of trim. The 45s come out pretty tight, pretty consistently. I have a suspicion that my real issue is that the box sides warped on me a bit, most likely due to not enough time to acclimate after surfacing, and not coating both sides of the board with shellac at the same time. Coupled with my clamping attempt failed to bring them back square. So a couple of lessons learned on this one.

To Cian and WxMan, you are exceedingly kind. My shop is just a shared three car tandem garage. Everything that is not mounted to the walls is on wheels, and when I want to do some woodworking, I back my wife's car out of the garage and roll everything in place, only to have to roll it back in the evening. Sometimes I will set up a canopy in the driveway and roll everything out there when I am working something big or want more ventilation. It is far nicer than the apartment balconies that constituted my very first woodworking spaces, but man would I love a dedicated space where I could leave things out for a while.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!