Demonstrating the Knew Concepts fretsaw
While working on the current build (I will post this later), I took a couple of minutes to make a very short video using a Knew Concepts fretsaw to remove the waste from pins. The purpose is to demonstrate how efficient this process is, as compared with chopping the waste out.  Note that the wood is 20mm thick Hard Maple (it is indeed very hard wood!). These are mitred through dovetails for the carcase of a side table with drawers.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-25-2019, 07:48 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: While working on the current build (I will post this later), I took a couple of minutes to make a very short video using a Knew Concepts fretsaw to remove the waste from pins. The purpose is to demonstrate how to efficient this process is, as compared with chopping the waste out.  Note that the wood is 20mm thick Hard Maple (it is indeed very hard wood!). These are mitred through dovetails for the carcase of a side table with drawers.

Regards from Perth

Derek
You make it look easy, Derek...but I know how much "sawing skill" it takes....I used to pierce coins in the "olden days" and I went through lots of blades in learning to handle the saw and let the tiny blade do the work...No doubt the rigid titanium frame helps tremendously...a "slack" blade leads to a short life...

Thank you for the video...
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

AFAICT, that's almost identical to how Rob Cosman shows to use the fretsaw.

I do wish I owned one of those  Knew Concept saws, but something I never picked up and just use an inexpensive fret saw that works fine. Lee was a great guy (R.I.P.) who I exchanged a fair amount of email with in the past, he used to hang out on Practical Machinists before he passed. Brian still hangs out there.

Anybody try the Blue Spruce coping saw that Dave came out with?
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.