Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander
I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”;   and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions.  We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online.  Your recomendation will be appreciated. 

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
Bill 
I have a Rigid from Home Depot.  Low cost and variable speed, with good dust collect and very aggressive stock removal at higher settings.

Will hook up directly to a shop vac.

My one reservation is that the "slow start" ramps up slow enough for me to think it is not going to start at all (it always does though).  Recommended.

It is much better than my old Porter-Cable ROS which cost a good deal more.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-28-2019, 09:04 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have a Rigid from Home Depot.  Low cost and variable speed, with good dust collect and very aggressive stock removal at higher settings.

Will hook up directly to a shop vac.

My one reservation is that the "slow start" ramps up slow enough for me to think it is not going to start at all (it always does though).  Recommended.

It is much better than my old Porter-Cable ROS which cost a good deal more.

I've used a porter cable quick sander for years. That with a Bosch 6" for faster stock removal is a good pair. I found the dewalt a bit too aggressive to control at full speed. Festool is well made but not so great it's worth what they want for them.
Now where is that chisel
I have had a Festool ETS150/5 sander for many years. I think it’s a great sander to own. For extended use it’s very comfortable. Another feature these Festool sanders have are different density backing pads ranging from soft to firm. Never thought that would make a difference but for some applications I’m able to quickly change out the pad to improve leveling or other performance needs. I beat the hell out of it. Sanding wood, metal, drywall mud nothing I like better especially with a CT vacuum. Festool abrasives have been superior to other brands I’ve used in the past. A very good reliable performer in my experience.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(05-25-2019, 10:55 AM)Bill Lyman Wrote: I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”;   and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions.  We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online.  Your recomendation will be appreciated. 

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
Bill 

I've had a Bosch for at least 20 years. Works great, not a single issue. I'm thrifty, and to me Festool products are gimmicky and way overpriced. I've tried several and never been overly impressed.
I also run an ETS 150/5, and if it broke, I'd buy a new one. That said, it took me a bit of a learning curve with it. I had a tendency to round every corner really quick until I changed to the firm pad. It also took me longer than it should have to realize it works better on most materials and grits with the sander suction turned way down. But now it is a happy love affair. I hear good things about Mirka, though.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(06-07-2019, 09:09 AM)BassMD Wrote: I've had a Bosch for at least 20 years. Works great, not a single issue. I'm thrifty, and to me Festool products are gimmicky and way overpriced. I've tried several and never been overly impressed.

Same. The $70 Bosch VS from Lowes (or wherever) is a great sander. But, it ain't a festool and that's the one you want so you should probably buy that one. Life's too short, might as well spend your money on tools.
After using several brands over the last 30 years, my first major "switch" was to an air sander w/dust collection.  It is a 3M and it was a definite step up.

That said, I've had the Festool 125 version for several months and it is a game changer for me.  Based on my experience with it, I would have no hesitation buying any of the Festool sanders.

Either one of the sanders mentioned coupled with my CT36 dust extractor, its virtually dust free sanding which should be a priority for anyone IMO.

I can't comment on Abranet but don't see why they would be compatible.  Granate discs do last a long time, but are too expensive for me.  I use the Festool compatible disks from Industrial Abrasives.
Just to chime in a useless fashion .... I have an ETS 125/3 which I bought with the idea of using for the very final touches - grits 220 & up. It is supposed to be used after the Rotex 6" beast. Haven't used it yet so I cannot speak to it.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I ended up buying the Surfprep SPES5 3/16 orbit ROS. Out of the box it looks and feels great. When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, I will report the results.