Primer recomendation?
I am getting ready to paint my house's interior. So far I have spackled with Latex spackle and sanded the plaster walls smooth. I was planning on priming everything, as I will be lightening up most of the rooms (i.e. spraying a lighter color than what is on there now) as I figured primer would be cheaper than the paint and I could get away with one coat of the actual color. However, a lot of the primer is almost as expensive as the finish paint even in a five gallon bucket. There are a few 'cheap' primers such as this one.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/inter...344&ipos=4

I am wondering however if it is worth it to prime as the paints I am purchasing (Behr Ultra Premium) advertise themselves as paint and primer in one. The Behr is about $34/gallon as opposed to the PVA primer is about $16 in a five gallon bucket. So, I guess first of all is the primer I linked to the correct stuff to use? They describe it as for new construction over unfinished drywall. Should I just bite the bullet and get ready to spend for two coats of the Behr and if I can get away consider myself lucky?

It has been a while since I have done any large scale painting.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
I will tell you from experience what I found.

I got some regular Behr paint on my arms and I took a shower and it washed right off.

I got some Behr Marquis Ultra Premium paint/primer on my arms and I had to scrub and scrub in the shower to get it all off.

I got some dedicated primer (Zinsser 1-2-3, water based) and it took an entire week of showers for all the primer to wash off.  

It was enough to convince me:  Dedicated primers work better.  Two gallon pails are just $35.00 at Home Depot.  You can get it tinted to match your final coat.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Paint with primer basically has a thickening/sealing agent in it to seal the walls and it's got an adhesion promoter in it... glue. It doesn't give you any of the properties that make a finished product "Pop".
I use a primer first to give me an evenly colored canvas and hide the old color and provide a consistent texture on the wall before painting. The finished product looks better imho.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I used a PVA primer on bare new sheetrock---horrible. I covered that with BIN (tinted red for the lower half) and normal white for the top half---since the lower would be a bright gloss red and the top gloss white.(I was using Sherwin Williams middle grade paint).

Red is the hardest color to get right, over the tinted BIN, it only took 2 coats. And I also put two of the white.

I never have used glue---er---primer/paint in one. No way is it as good as real primer and real paint.
PVA primer is for fresh new drywall. More of a sealer so the paint doesn't keep soaking into the paper.

Paint that advertises as paint and primer in one... Yeah no it's just the marketing hype. 

My favorite paint these days is Behr Marquis. Depot sent out coupons to the pro rewards guys when it first came out. I got 2 gallons for a penny each along with some brushes and tape etc. That paint sticks great it cleans well and it flows out very well even when brushed. 

The worst paints I have used are Valspar from Lowes and the garbage that ACE carries, neither of those flow out at all and you have to add flotrol to it to make it even somewhat usable. It's real garbage paint...

If you are one of those worried about VOCs then you will want to look at oil based paints. The common thinking from marketers is that water is better but oil based out gasses in a few days then its done. Latex out gasses for years and the new fancy "VOC free" paints are actually some of the worst as the chemicals used in it are unknowns when it comes to their chemistry mixture and they outgass for decades.
        The only reason for the switch to water based was ease of cleanup but I often find that clean up is easier with oil based paints since they set up slower.
On interior walls in fair to good condition I use kilz primer2.
For heavy stains, crayons, markings and such, I prefer the bin primer.

I always primer now. Results are 2x better.
(05-28-2019, 10:18 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:        Paint that advertises as paint and primer in one... Yeah no it's just the marketing hype. 

That's my opinion as well. Those old enough to remember, Dutch Boy (never my favorite brand anyway) tried to market it's paint this way in the mid 70's. Thankfully the hype never caught on (back then) and it died a deserved death. Now it's been resurrected by everybody.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I accidentally got the Behr paint/primer.  It was terrible.  It went on thick but the it slowly started running down the wall.  Maybe it's my technique, I am not a professional, but I had never had such problems with regular paint over primer.
For fresh drywall or any kind of drywall mud or spackle, put a PVA primer on it first. Any other primer will either soak in and not do its job, or it will peel. After that, prime with any other primer or paint it.
(05-29-2019, 01:11 PM)crokett™ Wrote: For fresh drywall or any kind of drywall mud or spackle, put a PVA primer on it first.  Any other primer will either soak in and not do its job, or it will peel. After that, prime with any other primer or paint it.

Exactly what I do.  

John