Odd-ball tools that save the day
(05-30-2019, 10:28 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I don't know how many times over the years I have almost picked up or ordered gimlets. I even tried to make a gimlet from coat hanger wire. They aren't something I anticipate comfort in using, so are definitely "odd-ball". Drill bits seem to be more useful. 

Alternatives and workarounds to missing tools, or other, are the norm.

Not enough room inside the box for a drill and bit. Gimlet gets into tight spots and makes a hole.
(05-31-2019, 09:11 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Credit for this one goes to Scott Grandstaff...

The thin, flexy scraper, great for odd jobs:

Easy to sharpen "good enough" in a saw-vise by draw-filing a 45-degree bevel:

Chris

I have all sorts of bits and pieces of scraper stock in various shapes. They come in handy and can be easily shaped for particular spots.
(05-29-2019, 08:16 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
I sometimes go a month without ever using a Dremel, then sometimes it's the only tool that will do the job and I will use it almost every day for a week. One of the most useful tools you can have WHEN you need one..Plenty of "imitator" Dremels out there for a little more than a loaded Big Mac with a shake and fries.....  
Big Grin
Winkgrin

I would not consider a Dremel to be an odd-ball tool. It gets used too much to be one in my shop. Easiest way to shape scrapers and scratch stock.
(05-29-2019, 09:00 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Always a treat to see your work Scoony.

Thanks, this is a small chest for a niece that just graduated high school. I will post some pics in a few days when its completed. Made from curly imbuia which is a lot like a dark (semi-sweet) chocolate brown mahogany.
(05-31-2019, 12:27 PM)Scoony Wrote: I would not consider a Dremel to be an odd-ball tool. It gets used too much to be one in my shop. Easiest way to shape scrapers and scratch stock.

I wouldn't consider a Dremel to be "odd" in a power tool forum, but it is odd to me since it is powered by electrons rather than by the Armstrong method.
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

My wife would like me to post a picture of myself!