Recommend a jigsaw
My Bosch is a 1581 bought in the late 1970s.  It still works although I have other, later versions of that saw also.
The key to performance with the Bosch is to buy Bosch blades only.  The blade is what does the cutting and the Bosch blades are ground sharp.  I've tried other brands of the Bosch T-top style and never did I get as satisfactory cut as I did with the Bosch blades.  I use their aggressive cutting blade to crosscut 2" oak and other rough lumber that I need to get to rough size.
I had the Bosch barrel grip.

I sold that and got the Ryobi 18V cordless, because I have so many other Ryobi cordless tools, and because I only need it for infrequent use.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Ryobi, I think it cuts every bit as well as the Bosch did.
In fairness, I've hated every jigsaw I've owned, and I only bust one out when no other tool will do the job, which is not very often. I currently have a Bosch corded and a Milwaukee M12 cordless, and am ambivalent about both of them. Contemplated the Festool Carvex a half dozen times, because I've already given them a ton of my money, and even in one moment of insanity, started entering my credit card numbers for a Mafell, the Ferrari of jigsaws. But I didn't care for the Carvex that much more when I tried it, and financial sanity prevailed over the Mafell. What I am very positive about is Milwaukee's Fien Multimaster knock-off tool. A couple different sizes of wood blade for it and I haven't had much need for either jigsaw in a long, long time.

Now if you're planning on roughing in outlets and plumbing fixtures all day on a jobsite, or if you are a high-production trim carpenter knocking out dozens of cope cuts a day, or I suppose a boat builder or fiberglass moulder knocking out odd shaped bucks all day, I totally get your experience being different. But for Joe Average using it as a DIY tool, you might be better served by a Multimaster style tool for anything not requiring a couple feet of curved cutline.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(06-02-2019, 11:20 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: In fairness, I've hated every jigsaw I've owned, and I only bust one out when no other tool will do the job, which is not very often.  I currently have a Bosch corded and a Milwaukee M12 cordless, and am ambivalent about both of them.  Contemplated the Festool Carvex a half dozen times, because I've already given them a ton of my money, and even in one moment of insanity, started entering my credit card numbers for a Mafell, the Ferrari of jigsaws.  But I didn't care for the Carvex that much more when I tried it, and financial sanity prevailed over the Mafell.  What I am very positive about is Milwaukee's Fien Multimaster knock-off tool.  A couple different sizes of wood blade for it and I haven't had much need for either jigsaw in a long, long time.  

Now if you're planning on roughing in outlets and plumbing fixtures all day on a jobsite, or if you are a high-production trim carpenter knocking out dozens of cope cuts a day, or I suppose a boat builder or fiberglass moulder knocking out odd shaped bucks all day, I totally get your experience being different.  But for Joe Average using it as a DIY tool, you might be better served by a Multimaster style tool for anything not requiring a couple feet of curved cutline.

I  googled the price of Mafell just for curiosity.  Wow!  800 bucks.  At that price It have to do the WW projects for my while I sit in front of TV drinking beer.
Laugh
I have the older Bosch barrel like the others and like it.

I've never tried to do anything serious with it, but have the M12 cordless one too. That's got a coarse blade and use it for odd cut offs and portability when I don't need a clean cut and just need something cut.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
Jigsaw is my most hated tool.  I have had 4 different ones and none will cut on a line.  
Big Grin  I had a GE, Dewalt and two craftsman.  I just hated the way they cut wood - I only used it for rough cutting and mainly utility type work.  I am on my 5th - it's a cordless model - Craftsman.  I got it for Christmas is still haven't used it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
My thoughts , even if they're late.

Bosch offers the most bang for the buck.  Inventor of the jigsaw, they haven't rested on their laurels.

Festool's  Trion series is solid, but not worth the premium over a TOL Bosch.  
Their Carvex series is light in the pants. Doesn't hold up for a lot of Pro use.  RIDICULOUS blade adjustment.  You MUST reset the guides each time you change a blade or it won't cut properly.  Just daft.  Want to cut a bevel ?  That's gonna cost you an xtra $200 for an accessory ! 

Mafell - absolutely the king.  Only comes in barrel variant though. If you need to cut miles of curves or thick curved pieces like rafter tails - this is your ticket if you don't want a bandsaw.

Cheap or old jigsaws are simply aggravation generators.  Starting with the blade change that requires a tool.  Usually under powered, needlessly heavy, and un-ergonomic.  Skil, B&D, Craftsman, Stanley - they're all going to cause you heartache.

Be sure to choose the correct blade for the job too !  A blade that cuts veneered ply well isn't going to be worth a darn on a 2x4.  Neither is going to cut a curved scribe.  And when choosing a metal blade , be sure to match the tooth count to the material and thickness.

I concur with Ego, a multimaster has/can replace a jigsaw for all but curved cuts.  Again , with the correct blade.
I just bought a DeWalt 20v cordless to replace my corded DeWalt. I like the new updated features. The blade simply inserts and with a lift of the release lever the blade comes out. There's no more using an allen wrench or screwdriver to tighten the blade. There are also 3 levels of blade aggressiveness. The more aggressive settings make the saw cut faster but with a rougher cut. The shoe angle can also be quickly changed through the use of a quick release lever.

The saw seems to handle well and is well balanced. I bought a package of Bosch blades. Proper blade selection for the task is important. Otherwise, the cut won't be as clean as it can be.

I like the cordless design because there's no cord to get in the way. The saw can be used easily in the shop or on location. No extension cord needed.

Have fun shopping!
Thanks guys!  Got my Bosch last Monday. Played with it a bit.  Mostly in the back yard cutting pallets to burn in  the firepit.  Nice tool,
will get plenty of use.
I have two Bosch jig saws of different models. Both are solid performers.  You're going to be happy with that for a long time.