Harlequin side table
Aram, this is a picture of the flat on the leg. i am not sure if I posted this before ...

[Image: 58.jpg]

And here are the steps to attach the legs ...

First, measure that the legs are the same length.

Second, determine the height from the top of the case (50mm).

Third, decide (after a couple of trials) how far in the legs will be from each side (turned out that 3 1/2 dovetails in was the best balance in leg angle).

Fourth, place a straight edge alongside the front and rear sides of the case (to align the legs).

Now attach the legs with a clamp, and run a pencil around the top of the legs where it will be glued.

Mark the position of the screw holes in the case, making sure that you avoid the dado for the drawer divider. Drill these from the outside, and countersink on the inside.

Seven. Glue the legs in place, using the pencil marks as a guide, but ensuring the straight edge is used again. Clamp and leave to dry for 45 minutes.

Eight. Drill for the legs from the inside of the case, making sure that you mark the drill bit for depth ... you do not want to spoil everything by drilling through the leg!

Nine and Finally: insert the screws. The top one is into the shallower section and is 30mm long, while the lower two go into the meat, and are 40mm long.

Done. Not so tough.
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I really like how this one turned out although I think I may have preferred the legs from the bottom like on your coffee table. 

How did the show go?  Hope you had a good time regardless.

Andrew
The Show ran Friday to Sunday, today - which is when I managed to attend. Some of the photos are taken early in the day. The plan was that I would do a few demonstrations (of hand tool use, plus run a master class on dovetailing), grab my prize (I did win something), and run. But there were so many interesting things to see, and I got chatting with old friends .. and then my wife turned up in the afternoon (presumably to ensure that I did not sell her new table ... no, there was a concurrent craft show on) ... and so on ...

[Image: Show1a.jpg]

I took a lot of photos, but I will just show a few.

Old tools for sale!

[Image: Show10a.jpg]

[Image: Show11a.jpg]

Isn't this cool ...

[Image: Show13a.jpg]

[Image: Show14a.jpg]

I did help ... pointed out a little bit of tearout ...it did bring a smile
Smile

My favourite is always the area where my friend Greg Miller (in the blue shirt) runs a green wood school, and always has a section for kids:

[Image: Show7a.jpg]

[Image: Show9a.jpg]

Where else do you see kids having so much fun with a shave horse!

[Image: Show8a.jpg]

Just in case you think that Perth is stuck in the 1800s, there were plenty of power tools and machines for sale. But it is old hat. I know everyone is waiting to see the furniture.

Well, I did not win. My club mate, Ian Houghton won first prize with a chest called "The Three Americans" (the name went over my head). Interestingly for me, it was also a harlequin theme. A really stunning piece. The photos do not do it justice.

[Image: Show15a.jpg]

[Image: Show16a.jpg]

[Image: Show17a.jpg]

Dovetailed drawers with suede bottoms ...

[Image: Show18a.jpg]
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I got second place ...

[Image: Show19a.jpg]

Third went to this heavily inlaid cabinet ...

[Image: Show20a.jpg]

One other piece I will show is first place in the box section, which went to another club member, Martin Burgoyne. Martin had just returned from a course in Japan, the influence for this piece ...

[Image: Show23a.jpg]

I did not understand it at first, and needed to read the display notice ...

[Image: show24.jpg]

[Image: show25.jpg]

Hope you found this interesting.

Oh, my prize for second place was a HNT Gordon end vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I like it: Good on you!!!
That's beautiful, Derek!

Thanks for sharing the build with us...
Yes

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Derek,

Is that a ship's mast? a flag pole? the corner post for the giant's bed in Jack and the Beanstalk?

SCMedLion
(08-13-2019, 06:41 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: My club mate, Ian Houghton won first prize with a chest called "The Three Americans" (the name went over my head).

Perchance, might it refer to the various woods employed?

BTW - congratulations!
(08-15-2019, 04:55 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Perchance, might it refer to the various woods employed?

BTW - congratulations!

Derek was probably too polite. Unless there are woods related to stooges.
(08-15-2019, 03:38 PM)SCMedLion Wrote: Derek,

Is that a ship's mast? a flag pole? the corner post for the giant's bed in Jack and the Beanstalk?

SCMedLion

Still curious. Anybody know what the large object is in the last few pictures?