Kitchen knife sharpening
Any recommendations on a decent pocket knife/kitchen knife sharpener ?
Just used a Wicked Edge WE50, and was impressed.
Any favorite sharpeners for pocket/kitchen knives?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
For kitchen knives, I use a diamond coated steel like this Wusthof diamond coated steel.

For pocket and hunting type knives, I use a Lansky:

Attached Files Image(s)

I sharpen our knives with a Lansky. I have had it for 30 years and it works great.
(06-03-2019, 04:05 PM)Pirate Wrote: Any recommendations on a decent pocket knife/kitchen knife sharpener ?

I used a Lansky (knockoff) for a while. It works well but there is some setup. I switched to a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy to use and works great! Got my never-sharpened kitchen knives to hair shaving in a few minutes. I use the Sharpmaker for kitchen knives, my many pocket knives, and scissors -- keep them honed, only takes a moment, keeps your blades nice and slicey. Highly recommended.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(06-03-2019, 04:05 PM)Pirate Wrote: Any recommendations on a decent pocket knife/kitchen knife sharpener ?
I use a slow-speed, horizontal belt grinder that I made a number of years ago for kitchen knives and general sharpening..I have a full complement of bets and leather power strops for this machine...Also use a Worksharp with diamond coated lapping plates for sharpening small knives..have grits sizes from 400 to 3000...

But for a person whos not interested in making knives, I like a 600grit diamond plate followed by a washita or fine India ending with a translucent Arkansas stone.,then strop on diamond charged leather.

[Image: P1020261.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I use a 1/2" diameter ceramic rod in a wooden handle. It's easy, quick, and simple.
I clean the rod after use with Barkeeper's Friend cleaner.
Rick W
Ceramic rod honing kit from Lee Valley. You have to build the holder yourself. Very easy build.
a couple swipes and the kitchen knife is razor sharp. 
Every once in a while like every few years for me, I have to take the knife out to the shop and give it a fresh bevel on a fine diamond stone.

There is no replacement for a knife with good metal. You do not have to spend a fortune. I have had the same two Victornox kitchen knives for over twenty years now and they are going strong. Recently bought one for each of my grown sons and the quality is still there. Available on Amazon for around thirty dollars.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Lansky - 4 diamond "stones".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I use the unglazed ring on the bottom of my coffee cup to sharpen kitchen knives.  Its ceramic. A little water prevents clogging. Different cups have different grits, even within the same set. I do this every time I use a kitchen knife.

It won't give you the sort of edge you would want for a good pocket knife or woodworking chisel.  But the simplicity and frequency allows a "good enough" edge to be maintained indefinitely.

Adam
I use one of the EdgePros. Works well, but a bit of a learning curve.