Kitchen knife sharpening
I think the guys who make knives and sharpen knives professionally use some sort of belt sander/grinder. I guess if one wanted a machine to sharpen knives with, it should be one of those.
Since my wife pretty much abuses kitchen knife edges, I long ago gave up and bought a Chef's Choice machine which does a "good enough" job. Jack Edgar AKA Timberwolf sold me on a 1" belt grinder for power stropping long edges such as knives. Takes a little time and muscle memory but properly done, paper will just fall apart when you bring the edge near (well, almost). To touch up knives I care about, I generally use ceramic rods. Bought my son & I Spyderco ceramic kits many years ago and I just bought him a bunch of belts from Lee Valley and gave him the money for a horrible freight 1 x 30" grinder to see if he likes the system.

I like the rods & belts because I am apparently unable to keep a consistent bevel angle, by hand, on a stone. Sort of the same reason I use a honing guide for chisels and plane irons.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(06-09-2019, 08:22 PM)cputnam Wrote: Since my wife pretty much abuses kitchen knife edges, I long ago gave up and bought a Chef's Choice machine which does a "good enough" job.  Jack Edgar AKA Timberwolf sold me on a 1" belt grinder for power stropping long edges such as knives.  Takes a little time and muscle memory but properly done, paper will just fall apart when you bring the edge near (well, almost).  To touch up knives I care about, I generally use ceramic rods.  Bought my son & I Spyderco ceramic kits many years ago and I just bought him a bunch of belts from Lee Valley and gave him the money for a horrible freight 1 x 30" grinder to see if he likes the system.

I like the rods & belts because I am apparently unable to keep a consistent bevel angle, by hand, on a stone.  Sort of the same reason I use a honing guide for chisels and plane irons.
gave him the money for a horrible freight 1 x 30" grinder to see if he likes the system.

Curt, that little Harbor Freight 1X30 machine is the best power tool they sell IMO..and certainly one of the most popular...YouTube lists some mods that really enhance the operation..It can be mounted "on it's back" and used horizontally which is great for knife sharpening because the belt then turns "away" from the operator for easier freehand sharpening..When  mounted horizontally you can "jig" up a type of "Lansky" type knife holding arrangement to help maintain whatever bevel angle you choose on your knives...You can buy the blade holder jig on Amazon IIRC..I have one I use on my 1X30 Loray horizontal belt grinder...I haven't found an edge yet that I can't sharpen better on my belt grinders...It's quick, it's cheap and worth the time it takes to learn the technique.,

Here's a guide for the 1X30 to maintain bevel angles and it doesn't require jigging up..it just clamps to the platen.. it will not work with a leather belt for stropping,..that's easy to do freehand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ZvUkaPb9k
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the link and horizontal idea - just may be one in my future
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard