Drill Press Chuck Problems - Help Required
In buying a new drill press chuck, I would look at MSC, as they give the skinny on the quality of the chuck (not sure if all, but many Jacobs are no longer made in the USA). MSC rate the chuck as to quality, even if import.

Also pay attention to removal techniques, for some you made need a chuck wedge set.

A good chuck is lifetime purchase, as is drill press maintenance (think top quality bearings, which really aren't that costly).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-15-2019, 08:10 AM)Tony Z Wrote: In buying a new drill press chuck, I would look at MSC, as they give the skinny on the quality of the chuck (not sure if all, but many Jacobs are no longer made in the USA).  MSC rate the chuck as to quality, even if import.

Also pay attention to removal techniques, for some you made need a chuck wedge set.

A good chuck is lifetime purchase, as is drill press maintenance (think top quality bearings, which really aren't that costly).
Good point, Tony............Some folks think that a " bearing is a bearing"..and all the same quality...BIG mistake....I have a couple of high dollar Jacobs ball bearing chucks for my metal lathes..tremendous difference in clamping power over the bronze bearing types.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-16-2019, 09:11 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Good point, Tony............Some folks think that a " bearing is a bearing"..and all the same quality...BIG mistake....I have a couple of high dollar Jacobs ball bearing chucks for my metal lathes..tremendous difference in clamping power over the bronze bearing types.

Jack,

Before we're both done pushing air, I have to have you visit my plant, as well as my son-in-law's family business (Gasbarre.com).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
For what it's worth, I replaced the crap Chuck and arbor on my 15 year old Harbor Freight drill press with a Jacobs 33 and the MT2 arbor with the best rating on Amazon (think it was $10). Swapped in a set of link belts while I was at it. It's like owning a new drill press. Vibration is nearly non-existent, and the run-out improved by a full order of magnitude. Your Steel City was most likely better built in the first place, but if you are going to swap the Chuck, might want to swap the arbor as well.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(06-04-2019, 10:14 PM)Teak Wrote: So the chuck on my Steel City Drill Press is acting up. One of the Jaws is not retracting or extending properly. It either stays inset or protrudes out beyond the other two Jaws. Is this something fixable or is the chuck toast? If fixable / worth fixing, how do I go about it? If a replacement is required, what would your recommend. Years ago on this forum only, the late Pat Warner (RIP) in reply to one of question had recommended I get an Albrecht. The cost of that chuck is very close to what I paid for the drill press. If I have to go that route, I may as well look at Nova.
Smile

The chuck in question is a 5/8 JT3. Thanks in advance for your insights and help.

Cheers

I have a 17" Steel City drill press, and an extra 5/8 chuck. Jacobs brand. Dead nuts centered. Check your PMs.

[EDIT] Scratch that. You don't seem to have PMs turned on. PM me if you are interested. 5/8" Jacobs chuck, which I bought from eBay. It's in great shape, and came with a key. I mounted it on an arbor I bought from Amazon and measured the runout at 0.001, if that. Sounds great, right? Except I wanted a 1/2" chuck. Ordered and on its way, so I have the 5/8" available. I haven't listed it in S&S yet.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(06-16-2019, 09:57 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Jack,

Before we're both done pushing air, I have to have you visit my plant, as well as my son-in-law's family business (Gasbarre.com).
Thank you, Tony...I would love to see both someday !!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-04-2019, 10:14 PM)Teak Wrote: So the chuck on my Steel City Drill Press is acting up. One of the Jaws is not retracting or extending properly. It either stays inset or protrudes out beyond the other two Jaws. Is this something fixable or is the chuck toast? If fixable / worth fixing, how do I go about it? If a replacement is required, what would your recommend. Years ago on this forum only, the late Pat Warner (RIP) in reply to one of question had recommended I get an Albrecht. The cost of that chuck is very close to what I paid for the drill press. If I have to go that route, I may as well look at Nova.
Smile

The chuck in question is a 5/8 JT3. Thanks in advance for your insights and help.

Cheers

Aram is selling a good quality one in S&S for a great price and should last you your lifetime.

A chuck is one of the things I take out and lube every once in a while with WD40 or other lube.  Then move the jaws in an out several times to bet it into all the areas.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.