Woodworking in the woodworking forum
Lately it seems that off-topic discussions have made their way into the woodworking forum.

I avoid the Off Topic forum to so as not to be subjected to vitriol.  It would be nice if the off-topic stuff remained in the off-topic forum.  Perhaps the moderators can move some of these out.  

Perhaps all the off-topic stuff is why we're seeing less and less actual woodworking discussions.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Yes, they should be moved...though I don't think they are the reasons why forum discussions are drying up. Forum activities have gone down elsewhere as well, an unstoppable trend partly because more social media platforms have been created.

By the way, has a recent SMC thread been moved or deleted? There were lots of comments made before the last few guys went into some political fights. If someone -- the Administrator or one of the Moderators -- removed that thread, killing not just the political comments but also all other numerous non-political inputs members had made, shame on them! That removal decision was totally wrong, killing people's interest to take part in any discussion. Only the last few political remarks should have been deleted, keeping what was discussed before that intact.

Simon
I have seen a few discussions that seemed to be in the wrong category but that's not too common IMHO. But, the participation in this forum has greatly diminished over the last few years or so. I'm sure the other avenues like Facebook etc. is one of the reasons but I've also noticed that many of the longtime members that used to be very active here seem to have disappeared and I don't think it's because of these other platforms. There were a bunch of guys who commented often with very good advice and never seemed to get pulled into the arguments and some of the silliness that goes on. I wish they were still here.
(06-06-2019, 08:39 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: There were a bunch of guys who commented often with very good advice and never seemed to get pulled into the arguments and some of the silliness that goes on. I wish they were still here.

I wonder if some of them have gone to some other forums or other social media (instagram, for example) or simply have stopped their "social" postings. Or some may even have stopped woodworking!

When blogs first came out, tons of people started their blog journeys, but look at what still remains. Many, after 10 years or more, have either disappeared or become dormant...no new posts in months or even over a year. After all, one gets bored after talking to oneself for years (!) - with little response from the blog readers.

I'm sure some have moved their focus to their own business such as Rob Cosman who is now too busy with his online store and classes. Or, may be youtube which offers revenue opportunities also takes away some contributors. 

Simon
I think recycling of the same information wears out interest after a while. I keep forgetting so the repetition is good for me.... 

BTW, this thread is off topic, but I'd never see it in the Sewer.
SHARPENING! OMG.

Which (fill in the name of the tool ) should I get?

Etc.

Sawstop used to be a good generator of posts.

Simon
(06-06-2019, 07:16 AM)Cooler Wrote: Lately it seems that off-topic discussions have made their way into the woodworking forum.

I avoid the Off Topic forum to so as not to be subjected to vitriol.  It would be nice if the off-topic stuff remained in the off-topic forum.  Perhaps the moderators can move some of these out.  

Perhaps all the off-topic stuff is why we're seeing less and less actual woodworking discussions.

Early in the life of WoodNet, there was no Off Topic forum(There also were no turning/finishing forums). Posting non serious material(with the heading of OT or Off Topic in the title) infuriated 'serious' woodworkers.

Having been around during that part of the changes in WoodNet, I can assure you the current influx of OT posts is minimal.

Two things. First, the Mods here are volunteers. Long hours, lots of complaints, and spammers make the job pretty thankless. How do I know that? I was the first member Mod and set up the procedure. At one point, there were two Mods per forum and keeping up was difficult. I often spent five to eight hours a day moderating, dealing with problems, and cleaning up. How many folks are willing to do that, so it is difficult to find volunteers.

Second. Cannot please everyone. Makes no difference what is done, someone is mad, unsatisfied, or complaining. Sometimes those folks have a point and their comments are used for change. That is why the OT, Turning, and Finishing Forums are here. 

Participation is down. Here and at other sites. However, several woodworking websites no longer exist. Some charge for membership. It takes a great deal of behind the scene work and some money to operate a successful website. The owners see fit to spend those funds and members keep the wheels greased.

WoodNet has survived for a couple of reasons. First, it is free. Second, enough members care enough to spend the time doing the necessary work to keep it operating. Is it wild and wooly? Not close to the way it used to be. Death threats, lawsuits, and coordinated spamming happened often.
(06-06-2019, 11:07 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Early in the life of WoodNet, there was no Off Topic forum(There also were no turning/finishing forums). Posting non serious material(with the heading of OT or Off Topic in the title) infuriated 'serious' woodworkers.

Having been around during that part of the changes in WoodNet, I can assure you the current influx of OT posts is minimal.

Two things. First, the Mods here are volunteers. Long hours, lots of complaints, and spammers make the job pretty thankless. How do I know that? I was the first member Mod and set up the procedure. At one point, there were two Mods per forum and keeping up was difficult. I often spent five to eight hours a day moderating, dealing with problems, and cleaning up. How many folks are willing to do that, so it is difficult to find volunteers.

Second. Cannot please everyone. Makes no difference what is done, someone is mad, unsatisfied, or complaining. Sometimes those folks have a point and their comments are used for change. That is why the OT, Turning, and Finishing Forums are here. 

Participation is down. Here and at other sites. However, several woodworking websites no longer exist. Some charge for membership. It takes a great deal of behind the scene work and some money to operate a successful website. The owners see fit to spend those funds and members keep the wheels greased.

WoodNet has survived for a couple of reasons. First, it is free. Second, enough members care enough to spend the time doing the necessary work to keep it operating. Is it wild and wooly? Not close to the way it used to be. Death threats, lawsuits, and coordinated spamming happened often.

... just like to say. I love this forum, I love how it's organized, and I love how it's moderated. Communication is hard. Politics is multifaceted, it imbues all subject matter where "humans" are involved. Technical politics. Social politics. Cultural politics. Finishing politics. Dust collection politics. Construction politics....  Every sentence about every topic can be filled with a words having multiple meanings rendering nearly every paragraph up for wild and woolly interpretation(s) depending on everyone's own set of experiences and current context.

Woodworking brings me an inner peace... no offence intended by any of my communications, but there may be some intended defense found in some, I think that is normal for my personality type (A), but I am willing to get better :-)
(06-06-2019, 11:07 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Second. Cannot please everyone. Makes no difference what is done, someone is mad, unsatisfied, or complaining. Sometimes those folks have a point and their comments are used for change. That is why the OT, Turning, and Finishing Forums are here. 
If that is really true -- "makes no difference" -- moderation other than removing unacceptable posts (as defined by the Forum rules) is not needed. I am not saying a moderator's job is easy (volunteer or not), I am wondering what or un-explained moderation does in the end: to make only a few members happy while upsetting the rest, or encourage participation.

One of the other forums I visit has over two dozen sub-forums/sections, and it seems to have only two moderators for all of them (at least that's the impression as the same two guys with an Administrator or Moderator title are seen). One of them is an employee of the Forum. The number of posts made there is slightly better than here.

Simon
(06-06-2019, 11:31 AM)RKMBrown© Wrote: Every sentence about every topic can be filled with a words having multiple meanings rendering nearly every paragraph up for wild and woolly interpretation(s) depending on everyone's own set of experiences and current context.

Woodworking brings me an inner peace... no offence intended by any of my communications, but there may be some intended defense found in some, I think that is normal for my personality type (A), but I am willing to get better :-)

Totally agree. When you can only see words and not hear the tone of voice, see the smile or smirk etc. it's very easy to misinterpret the writers intent. I've seen arguments start on forums, emails etc. where people were actually agreeing with each other but read a statement completely out of context.

My apologies to the OP. My comments ain't about woodworking either!
Smile

But I am in the process of building some TV trays that I'll post if I ever quit screwing things up! I've learned a good lesson on this project, if you change the dimensions of one component on the piece you'd better make sure you go through the plans and adjust other things accordingly.
Upset