Decorative Posts Replacement
I need some help in finding a way to replace these four posts.  The concrete walkway was poured after the posts were set.  I believe that the posts were set with concrete, but not sure.   I'd like to replace the posts without tearing up the walkway too much.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-10-2019, 06:57 AM)TFM Wrote: I need some help in finding a way to replace these four posts.  The concrete walkway was poured after the posts were set.  I believe that the posts were set with concrete, but not sure.   I'd like to replace the posts without tearing up the walkway too much.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

The only way I know how to do that would be to use a high lift jack and a tow chain and try to pull them up. Depending on how well they are still embedded in the concrete and how thick/strong the slab is will determine your results.

That is how I pulled all my 6x6 deck posts out of their footings when I recently replaced my deck. All but one came out of the concrete without issue. On one the post would not separate from the footing and I pulled the entire post and footing out of the ground.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I had a 4x4 cedar mailbox post that got run over and snapped level with the soil. I bought 2 long deck building structural screws and attached them through a small scrap of plywood right into the post end grain. I left the screws loose enough so l could thread a nylon load strap underneath the plywood and then hen tightened down the screws. I then took my new post and put it through the loop and it lifted the post right out of the ground. It was the in 3 feet of solid clay. Hopefully your post is not set in concrete deep into the soil.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I'd be surprised if the wood wasn't rotted below the concrete surface. I've removed 4x4's imbedded in concrete by drilling a line of holes; basically cutting it in half, then pulling the pieces. If your posts not rotted, but are Pressure treated, you might consider cutting them flush with the concrete and mounting a post base along with your new posts.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Yeah, I'm going to probably saw them flush, drill/chip what I can out and pour fresh concrete in the holes.  Then mount some sort of a decorative base bracket for the new posts.  Might work out.
(06-12-2019, 11:43 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I'd be surprised if the wood wasn't rotted below the concrete surface. I've removed 4x4's imbedded in concrete by drilling a line of holes; basically cutting it in half, then pulling the pieces. If your posts not rotted, but are Pressure treated, you might consider cutting them flush with the concrete and mounting a post base along with your new posts.

I'm going to grub the posts out, fill with concrete and use some sort of decorative brackets to secure the new posts to the concrete.  The posts are 5 1/2" square.  Does anyone know of a good source for some decorative posts?