Surprise Request
I volunteer at a local retirement community in their wood shop. I am not a resident. When I started 18 months ago the shop was being used very little which happens as the resident population changes. Over the ensuing months I made several upgrades and changes. Currently we have four residents using the facility on a semi regular basis.

The other day I was in the shop when the phone on the wall rang. That was a surprise as the phone is more an emergency device than for regular use. It was one of the marketing staff at the community and she asked for me by name. She then asked if I would be willing to give an interview to the local newspaper about happenings in the shop.

The next day the reporter came for an hour. She asked questions and took photos. I tried to stay on task and present a simple message. It amounted to creating an environment that was safe, enticing and fun.

It will be interesting to see what the article looks like.

Anyone else had this opportunity ?

Thanks, Bill

I
It's good to see you get some recognition for the efforts you've made. Congrats....if you can link the article once it's published.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Good on you for volunteering and your efforts to help folks who have to leave their homes still enjoy woodworking, or maybe even try it for the first time.   I see a local retirement facility that shows a wood shop in one of their TV ads.  I hope I never am a member, but if I am I hope there is some like you there to help me continue to enjoy what's been an integral part of my life since adulthood.  

John
My bowl turning process was photographed (723 pictures IIRC) for the Empty Bowl Event in Fort Worth last month.  I spent just south of 40 hours preparing logs, blocks, bowl blanks, and several other steps.  Photographer shared with me the 5 pictures chosen, but as far as I know, none ever made their publication.  Guess I am not the photogenic type.

I think any kind of positive recognition for a person's efforts is always a good thing.  Obviously you have made an impact and are being recognized, CONGRATULATIONS!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-15-2019, 09:45 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Good on you for volunteering and your efforts to help folks who have to leave their homes still enjoy woodworking, or maybe even try it for the first time.   I see a local retirement facility that shows a wood shop in one of their TV ads.  I hope I never am a member, but if I am I hope there is some like you there to help me continue to enjoy what's been an integral part of my life since adulthood.  

John

It was John's post that prompted me to ask the local paper if they could make the article available without being a subscriber. When I shared John's response they didn't hestitate. 60 seconds later they had made the article public.

Here is the link.

https://harveycountynow.com/all-news/too...rking-shop

Thanks, Bill
Well done, Bill.....
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Congrats Bob

So glad you are doing this for others.  Hope something as nice is said about me someday.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-25-2019, 07:06 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Well done, Bill.....

I posted the link to the article just in case someone is considering volunteering in a similar setting and needed a bit of encouragement. I have a bit of mechanical ability and can build a few things out of wood but no special talents.

Thanks for the responses.

Bill
Excellent!

Good for you.  That's a great service you are providing!
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?